Automatic Database Install (1 Viewer)

Chrisopia

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
Hi guys,

I've developed an invoice tool which I've made 100% automatic and fool proof. All known errors are captured and dealt with, all forms are polished, all I's dotted and T's crossed...

There is just one thing I can't make automatic... installing the database across the 3 sites which use it.

If I were to do it at the moment I'd have to:
  1. Copy the Front End into the user's "My Documents" folder
  2. Link a short cut to the desktop
  3. change the short cut's icon to the database logo (used in all the forms etc)
  4. Re-link the database with the back end (a different location in each of the 3 sites)
  5. Match the reports with the printers and the settings - there are 4; a receipt printer, an A4 black and white setting, A4 black and white duplex setting, and an A3 black and white setting

Then, even if the tool develops new features, which it will undoubtedly, I just delete the old front end and repeat the whole process across the three sites!

There must be a short cut, or wizard to launch to install or update a front end, that I can create??

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:27
If you use an installer such as SageKey, that will handle 1-3 and also set the app as trusted. Steps 4 and 5 need input from the user since only the user knows where the BE is stored and which printers need to be set up. You have to provide a linking tool to automate the process. The opening form should try to open a table. If it can't, it should open the relinking form so the user can locate the BE. Then when the files are linked, the main menu should open. You might be able to create a table that can be used to retain the selections for step 5. Then for upgrades, you would need to detect the new version and reset the printers using VBA.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:27
I have a developer's platform called Aphrodite in the sample database section. It can handle 1-4. For number 1, it does not copy the FE to the documents folder. I believe it goes to the app data roaming folder. I believe I made some changes to Aphrodite that have not been published yet. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom