Question Back-end still opening after joining to FE .mdw (1 Viewer)

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:19
So I have the secure FE working fine with the ULS. I just wanted to add some security to the BE so i created the shortcut for the BE and used the same .mdw file that the FE does. My problem is: I can still open the BE directly without being prompted for a password. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the Headway Shortcut Builder, the same one I used to create the FE shortcut. I have gone through all the steps to properly secure the DB. Removing Admin, no permissions to Users group, etc. Could it be due to something with the permissions? Thanks everyone!

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like the Admin user still has rights - - if your process worked on the FE and not on the BE, you may have missed a step on the BE. Just retrace your steps and you will find it.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
I have no idea what i did. I have tried logging in with .mdw and then creating a new database and then importing the tables so the owner is no longer the Admin. After that when I open the BE using the shortcut everything works fine and the owner is the Super User but when I open it by itself it still opens the owner is unknown. When a shortcut is created that DB can only be opened by the shortcut correct? Thanks

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I have not used that method (i.e., creating a new database and importing everything into it), so I don't really know whether that works or not. You might want to go through your database objects and check that you have removed the admin user's rights, but if I were you, I would just start over and make sure you follow every step. Implementing ULS is tricky, and if you miss just one step the whole thing won't work. Are you following a tutorial? If not, that is what I recommend because it will help you not miss anything. If you search on this forum there are some links to some really good ones that have been posted in the past.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the guide I'm using. I'll check the admin rights again but I'm sure there aren't any. Do I have set permissions just like I did for the FE? I shouldn't have to since I am using the same .mdw correct? The FE works just fine and so does the BE when opened with the shortcut. I just can't figure out why it can be opened directly. The FE locked automatically when the shortcut was created.

Attachments

• AJMAccessSecurity.zip
    138.9 KB · Views: 202

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yep, you have to set the permissions in the BE too.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
So open the BE using the shortcut and then apply permissions? But I already have permissions set for tables already from the FE. What do you think?

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
You have to apply the permissions to the tables within the BE because that is where the tables exist. Only links to the tables exist in the FE.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, so I figured it out. When I would open the BE using the shortcut it would override my permissions and give the Users group all the permissions because the owner was still Admin. So I opened the BE using my .mdw and created a new database as the owner and imported the tables. After that I reset the permissions and everything works fine now and the database can't be opened directly. Thanks for you help everyone.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Glad you got it working. Now you can rest assured that you have mastered ULS, which will be so useful in the future now that Microsoft has removed it :)

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Haha our company won't be upgrading to 2007 until.....ever! Thanks Alisa for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom