Backing up db while db still in use. (1 Viewer)

selvsagt

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:45
Hi.

Will copying the database file while it is still in use, cause corruption in the original file?

I've read numerous places that you shouldnt copy the file while it is being opened by another user because you dont know what sort of state the db is in.

How to interpret that sentence? Is the consern here that the copy may be corrupt, or that copying the db file corrupts the "active" db file?

I have a script that copies the file each 15 minutes. I also take regular backups manually simply by CTRL+C ->CTRL+V
I then check the "new file", and do a compact and repair. If nothing seems to be wrong, I save it in my backupfolder. Is this actually a problem?

But now, I read that simply copying a db file may cause corruption...
Can someone explain to me how this works?

Some information about the application;
Split db, backend about 10mb, 15 concurrent users, all users are writing to the db, all users have their own frontend.
All users are on citrix terminal server.

Last edited:

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 03:45
Ive never got a corrupted one doing that.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Interesting question, as to to the exact mechanics.

I have an application where upon logout from the front end, I close all forms (hence disconnect from any tables), check for existence of backend.lcddb file, and if it doesn't exist that means no users are connected to the backend, so I copy the backend to backup.

selvsagt

Registered User.
Local time
Ranman256: Your opinion is that you can copy&paste the accdb file as much as you want, and this operation will NOT corrupt the file you are copying?

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 03:45
correct. I copy the db while open, and save to my backup folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom