Barcodes and Forms (1 Viewer)

spectrolab

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:43
Hi All,

I have a bit of a general query and I am hoping someone may be able to help out.

I have a table and currently it has 5 fields, one of which is a nine digit number, unique for each record, which is used as a barcode identifier. The Barcode field, ID, links this to a few other tables, so far, so easy.

Where I am kind of stuck is this:

I need a form to link to this table so that when I scan the barcode, it opens the record relating to this field and allows me to add the other data required for this record. I hope that makes sense.

Once I have done a few of these, the data in the table (only the records I have scanned, not the entire table) will be exported to a CSV file and used in another machine. This other machine will generate a new CSV file with the original data plus a new field (FinalWeight) which I would need to import back into the database.

I am fairly stumped as to how I might go about this, I have tried using temporary tables, but I seem to be making a mistake somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:43
Hi All,

I have a bit of a general query and I am hoping someone may be able to help out.

I have a table and currently it has 5 fields, one of which is a nine digit number, unique for each record, which is used as a barcode identifier. The Barcode field, ID, links this to a few other tables, so far, so easy.

Where I am kind of stuck is this:

I need a form to link to this table so that when I scan the barcode, it opens the record relating to this field and allows me to add the other data required for this record. I hope that makes sense.

Once I have done a few of these, the data in the table (only the records I have scanned, not the entire table) will be exported to a CSV file and used in another machine. This other machine will generate a new CSV file with the original data plus a new field (FinalWeight) which I would need to import back into the database.

I am fairly stumped as to how I might go about this, I have tried using temporary tables, but I seem to be making a mistake somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have a table (Table1). Put all the necessary fields in this Table.
Then create a form based on this Table.
You can use a form wizard for this.

Perhaps you could describe/explain the processes involved - especially the export + process elsewhere + import new csv + new field.....

spectrolab

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:43
Thanks very much for the reply, I suppose a bit more detail would be helpful.

The data in the table will be used for combustion analysis in a laboratory. We process between 500-1000 samples a day and this stage is trying to automate some of the process.

The table I referred to originally is called tblTGAData and has the following fields:

ID - Unique identifier for each record, also used for barcode id
CrucibleWeight - Mass of the container
InitialWeight - Mass of the sample before heating
and FinalWeight - Mass of the sample after heating.

The machine referred to does the final weight measurement, but I have to tell it ID, CrucibleWeight, and InitialWeight in the CSV file referred to.

The table currently has over 500,000 samples, so obviously I don't want to generate a CSV with all that data (and the machine only accepts a maximum of 40 samples).

After the analysis the file (see attached format) generated is then manually (at the moment) imported back into access (MySQL back end tables, easier for on-line access).

I was thinking of appending all the data from the output file to a table, deleting the CSV output file and keep adding data to the CSV file with the same name, hoping this might help make it automated. The job is a batch style process. so once the analysis is finished, press a button, import and delete the file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom