Best way to chek for a value in a list (1 Viewer)

martinjward

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:39
I have a list of dates and I would like to determine if a date is within the list. What is the best way to do this and can someone supply an example ?

Sould I use an array or just look up to a table?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:39
I depends on how often during a session you will be looking up these dates and the size of the list. DCount() or DLookup() should work for you if it is just once in a while.

martinjward

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry

Forgot to mention that I will be doing this in VBA - it's just a small part of a bigger process.:D

I only be using this once per call to a function - but the function may be called many times during a users session.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I would think that with the right indexing DCount() or DLookup() should be more that speedy enough for the application you described.

martinjward

Registered User.
Local time
So it's simply a case of...

if DLookup("[HolidayDate]","tbl_HolidayList","[HolidayDate] = tmpDate") = True then
Count = Count +1
End if

?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Not exactly. DLookup() returns a field value or a Null. Here's a reference for the syntax for the function. DLookup Usage Samples You will probably want to use DCount() but you can code either. You will need to surround a date value with the octothorp "#" which is the date delimiter. So it will be something like:
Code:
If DCount("[HolidayDate]","tbl_HolidayList","[HolidayDate] = #" & tmpDate & "#") > 0 Then
   Count = Count +1
End If

martinjward

Registered User.
Local time
I'll have a go tonight after the Kids have gone to bed, but thanks looks like this will do the job.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Post back here if it still is stubborn about it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom