Better IDE (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 04:58
Is there a better IDE that can be used with ACCESS? Not pleased with the ACCESS version.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:58
Join the #BeenWaitingFarTooLog# club.
There is talk of a new Monaco editor at some point next year, but they said that 3 years ago.

Anything in particular that bugs you, there might be some external tools that could help?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:58
Access is Access why would anyone create a custom IDE? The market is not big enough. If you are welded to Jet/ACE as your data store, you can use anything your heart desires as the IDE as long as it supports ODBC Or, just move on if you don't like Access.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
If talking Sql QBE than there are some good third party add-ins.
If talking VBA then most of us use MZTools to give it more functionality.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe he's talking about the way forms work or using the debugger. The "IDE" is all encompassing:) and we got no specific gripe.

jpl458

Local time
Join the #BeenWaitingFarTooLog# club.
There is talk of a new Monaco editor at some point next year, but they said that 3 years ago.

Anything in particular that bugs you, there might be some external tools that could help?
What bugs me the most is getting an error, say in a query, and it doesn't identify exactly what's wrong. It like getting a message, "there's a problem, go find it, I already did". IDE's used with other languages actually highlight the error in the code.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
What bugs me the most is getting an error, say in a query, and it doesn't identify exactly what's wrong. It like getting a message, "there's a problem, go find it, I already did". IDE's used with other languages actually highlight the error in the code.
Perhaps, if error handling is the main problem, you can learn more about handling errors in Access?

For example, do you include error handling code in all of your subs and routines? Do you know how to use Debug.Print? Set Watches? Stop code in Break Mode? All of those things, and more, are available to you in Access VBA, in the IDE. It may not hold our hands like some other programming languages do. On the other hand, it's an older language and that means a lot of the things we take for granted in newer languages do require more effort on the part of the developer.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What bugs me the most is getting an error, say in a query, and it doesn't identify exactly what's wrong
Are you using the QBE to build your queries or are you typing them into VBA strings? You will find that the QBE gives you better error messages than DAO.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:58
What bugs me the most is getting an error, say in a query, and it doesn't identify exactly what's wrong

Given the abstract math model that is the bases for most if not all SQL engines, it is hard as all heck to identify all possible errors. Remember that SQL is set-based, so in theory all SQL operations happen to all records as though they were being affected in parallel. In actual practice, most SQL that directly affects tables doesn't impose an order on the records, so saying "error in record 31" kind of has no meaning. Having said that, I have usually been able to follow the errors in SQL once I learned how SQL looks at things.

Got to also remember this: SQL executes queries one at a time, so there is only one SQL statement to call out in an error anyway. What's wrong? It's whatever you were doing with the single SQL statement you just tried to execute. If you have an SQL parsing error, you get reasonably good errors. If it makes it past parsing and execution plans before it barfs, you have an SQL runtime error and those tend to be cryptic, I'll agree.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Is there a better IDE that can be used with ACCESS? Not pleased with the ACCESS version.
Hi. I don't have any experience with this, but in case it's relevant to this discussion, I present the following link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom