Birdman trying to be a techie (1 Viewer)

AVILLAGE

Local time
Today, 15:53
I started programming in FORTRAN when computers were the size of office blocks, did very little except crash... so not a spring chicken.

I've been using Access databases for years and enjoy using VBA to control the behaviour of forms for data input (my day job is sending out and analyzing paper questionnaires). But this is very much as an amateur self-taught programmer.

My passion (and original profession) is bird watching.
I would like to use the incredible power of online maps to help me record bird data, but I am a complete HTML / Javascript novice, so I'm 'enjoying' learning how to get Access web browsers to work with Bing Maps.

Maybe this will be a good way of catching up with the web... but maybe you can't teach and old dog new tricks /scripts!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi "Birdman"

welcome to AWF...

Cheers Tony...

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:53
Welcome Avillage,

Why javascript and Bing etc.? Perhaps if we knew more about your data and intended use there may bee other options.

AVILLAGE

Local time
Thanks for the welcome!
The particular thing I'm trying to do at the moment is this:
I have a datalogger that records my geolocation and also has a voice recorder that tags my observations to my location. So when I load a new record onto an Access form I'd like it to show in a webbrowser a Bing map, centred on where I was. Then I'd like to click the map where the birdie was and have it put the co-ordinates in separate 'bird location controls'. Sounds simple, and should be in theory, but at the moment I can't get the Bing maps api to load into the web browser control. Loads OK in IE, but not when I set the control source to the HTML code.
If you can think of another way of doing this I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!... and Merry Christmas!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As I suggested in my previous response, I think you will find Google maps API easier to work with
Did you look at the sample database I suggested as this uses Google maps with locations - either postcodes or lat/long coordinates.

I'll also reply to your new thread

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:53
FYI, I moved this thread since it migrated to technical content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom