Black Face? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:01
For a long time now when posting positively on a comment in whatsapp I use the black thumbs up sign.

It amuses me because it contains an element of controversy.

I'm aware that some might think it's cultural appropriation of some sort. I've just said that without really understanding it, I've got a vague idea but nothing concrete.

But then I was looking at the smiley faces, the majority of the actual faces are yellow. Now, is that an analog for a white person?

I mean I know I should use the yellow thumbs up, and I realise that using the brown thumbs up is controversial, although I can't put it into words.

So I thought next time I put a :) up I should use a black one... But there aren't any?

Is this an ethnic slight against black people?

Is the yellow face a neutral colour because really you couldn't say it represented a white person it just represents a yellow face?

And yes you're right, I am bored and have nothing better to do!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:01
Racism is a touchy subject. But apparently you can say anything you like against the Jews. In fact it is encouraged.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:01
Actual racists see racism everywhere. Non-racists are colorblind. Why does there need to be a black/brown thumbs up? THAT is racist. Why does the Congress need a "black" caucus? What would people say if a "white" caucus was formed? If a white caucus is racist, why is a black caucus not racist? Why is a "black" graduation ceremony not racist but a "white" ceremony would be? 1984 brought us the idea of NewsSpeak. The Democrats have now brought us DemSpeak where they assign new, moving meanings for common everyday words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom