Building a Doctors / Consultant rota System (1 Viewer)

JBK1955

Local time
Today, 01:46
Hi, I would be most grateful to hear from anyone that has built a system for hospital Consultants Rota's, the main issue I'm having is both at the table design level and at the programming in as much as I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the the correct next dates in varying rota patterns, that include anything from simple 1 in 1 weeks to 49 in 53 week and anywhere in-between, also should the table structure be that of a calendar and create empty fields for each day, or leave it as a transactional file with a date?

This has been a most perplexing issue.... any help much appreciated

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:46
not sure exactly what you are doing, but I prefer not to create a table of blank entries. You probably need to think carefully about your data analysis. It would be worth posting your table structure, I think.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
FYI, both posts were moderated; I just approved.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:46
First, have you done an internet search on "rota patterns"? There was one free download listed for Vertix42. I have no idea if they are good or not. I did note that they used a spreadsheet. The implication, is using a database, such as Access, the appropriate application for your use?

The principle purpose of a database is to store/manage information. A spreadsheet, on the other hand, is designed to manipulate information and evaluate different scenarios.

So, unless you seek to store your data for future analysis, historical reasons, and/or accounting purposes, the spreadsheet solution may be a better approach.

Last edited:

JBK1955

Local time
Thanks for your responses, I'll post the table designs for any opinions etc... all gratefully received.

JBK1955

Local time
We have used Spread sheets before, the trouble being that they fall over too frequently as we need to give both admin and consultants access to them so they are shared spreadsheets, with all the problems associated with that, not secure and not reliable, and hence the reason for an Access Database, passes the security tests and reliability. but of course its not the best tool to do this but were under time constraints and cost. Clinician Rota systems are available, but the cost is inhibitive, well for an NHS Hospital.
I have managed to create a semi working system, that is going to need serious attention to make it fit better. Its transactional, and the only created empty fields are now just each 1st day of the week that can then have attached to them individual diary transactions.. I'm moving into the beta testing phase to see how it works... but still need any advice available ...

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:46
Clinician Rota systems are available, but the cost is inhibitive, well for an NHS Hospital
Note that many NHS hospitals (and healthcare organisations worldwide) do use rostering systems and there is some evidence that they have helped reduce costs. http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/plan/agency-workers/reducing-agency-spend/e-rostering

(Disclosure: I have worked as a paid consultant on healthcare data projects and I once used to work for a software company that sold e-rostering solutions)

JBK1955

Local time
thanks for replies, on a similar note, could anyone recommend the best way to pass a value to filter a dialog form?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom