Calculating duration (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 08:35
I have two fields in a row in the table. StartTimelcl and EndTimelcl, and I want to calculate the difference in minutes and seconds between the two fields. I have tried a few different approaches, none of which worked. Both times are date/time format; 1:52:01 PM and 1:54:37 PM, I would like the output tp be in mm:ss format. Using expression builder in query. Here is what i tried:

Code:
Duration: DateDiff("s",[PhoneCalltbl2]![StartTimeLc], [PhoneCalltbl2]![EndTimelLcl]/60

I also tried subtracting the start time from the end time. which didn't work. I get results that are way bigger than they should be.

Tried using format, but couldn't get it to work

Code:
Duration: Format(DateDiff([PhoneCalltbl2]![ETimeGMT],[PhoneCalltbl2]![StartTimeLc],"mm:ss"))

Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:35
Duration: Format( EndTimeLcl - StartTimeLc, "mm:ss" )

IF both of those variables have a date and time in them, you can just subtract them and use the format in question. HOWEVER - if the time can exceed an hour, your problem isn't the difference - it is the formatting. Access doesn't have a format for minutes greater than 60. So if you have a 61-minute phone call, you either need hours in the format or you need to define your own formatting routine.

I also tried subtracting the start time from the end time. which didn't work. I get results that are way bigger than they should be.

My guess is that one or the other of those variables didn't contain a date, OR you subtracted in the wrong order.

EDIT: Look at the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of this thread, as it has several links to other forum threads on time formatting.

jpl458

Local time
Found the problem, in the format I was using "mm:ss", when it should h ve been "nn:ss". Damn computers are so persnickety, it should have known what I wanted. Now, all is right with the world, till I try something else.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Found the problem, in the format I was using "mm:ss", when it should h ve been "nn:ss". Damn computers are so persnickety, it should have known what I wanted. Now, all is right with the world, till I try something else.
One of my go-to sayings about how humans relate to computers is this:

Ambiguity is required for successful humor and poetry, and essential to politics.
Ambiguity is the enemy of databases.

"mm" <> "nn" and that's no joke.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry, I should have caught that error. I was apparently distracted.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You can go to more reputable sites like XXXXXXX

Sandra, the reference to the site you named led me to a gaming site. That kind of link or reference is not allowed on this forum, I have removed the reference you made and redacted it in the quote-link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom