Can an input mask be used for this? (1 Viewer)

L14me

Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
Here's the dilemma...in the form, there is a field for (a person's) full name. I need to force the fomat as well as output as Last/First/Middle and the slashes "/" must show in the output.

So, if a person's name was Joe A. Smith, the input would need to result in an output of Smith/Joe/A

Any suggestions?

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
The input field for the name ... is it just one field? or is it three fields?

If three fields you can simply concantenate those fields together and place the "/" in between them. If a single field, will probably have to write some complex code to sort it, arrange it and place the proper output.

Why not just use three fields on the input side?

-dK

L14me

Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
Yes; it is one field...pre-existing requirement; that's what makes this a bit complex.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
Hmmm.

All I can think of is to put a label right below the control that says "Last/First/MI" to give the user a clue on how to fill it in.

Beyond me because of the complexity of the input ...first name and last name length variance so where do you force the "/" like you can on dates.

Anyone else?

-dK

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:26
The data storage you adopt should be logical

You should store separately

Forename
MiddleName
Surname

eg John blank Smith

and when you want to use them concatenate them as you require

John/NMN/Smith

----
The method you adopt for storing the data should not concern users, since they should not use it. If you store the name as a single string John/?/Smith, then you would have real difficulties extracting say, people whose Surnames began with S, or people called Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom