Can you help me write a simple code? (1 Viewer)

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:49
Hi all,

Here is what I want to do, I just need a code to help me do it!

Close an open and active access database (DB1)

Open another database (DB2)

Close DB2

Open DB1

It sounds simple enough but I just cant work out how to do it!

Many thanks in advance

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:49
Sounds like a school assignment.

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Sadly its really not!

I am trying to use this solution to get around a problem I have with a linked table which I cant refresh the connections in because the file is always "open" due to it being linked. This way, I would close the database with the linked table, open the new database with the code to refresh the data, once this has happened, close the 2nd database and reopen the first database with the linked table which is now updated.

It seems like a longwinded way around the problem but I cant work out a better solution at present!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Close an open and active access database (DB1)
Code:
Application.Quit

Open another database (DB2)
Code:
Public Function OpenDatabase()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler
    Dim strPath As String, strName As String
    strpath = Application.CurrentProject.path 'change path as necessary
    strName = "YourDBName.accdb"

'open external database
    Call Shell("msaccess.exe " & strpath & "\" & strName, vbMaximizedFocus)
    DoEvents

Application.Quit 'this closes the first db in the same code

ExitHandler:
    On Error Resume Next
    Exit Function

ErrHandler:
    MsgBox "Error " & err.Number & " in OpenDatabase routine : " & err.description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
    Resume ExitHandler

End Function

Usage:
Code:
Call OpenDatabase

Close DB2
As above

Open DB1
As above

The obvious point is you need to open the second database BEFORE you close the first!

Last edited:

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
I need to have DB1 so to speak, the active database, close before DB2 opens. Is there a way of doing this? All the codes I have mean that as soon as DB1 closes it stops the process of being able to open a second database.

When DB2 opens, I have set a module to run on a form opening which does what I require. But, if DB1 is still open when this module is run it doesn't work as required.

:banghead:

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 14:49
Why do you need to refresh a linked table that often?

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
The table holds data that can change at any time, multiple times, throughout the day. It is normally when a user knows that something in the data has changed that they will then need to refer to this to complete a task. The users could just go in an refresh the table but not all users have access to this, and I am trying to create a one click does all button on the database they will use to allow them to complete this task.

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Would putting some sort of timer on the open code allow the process to start, but with enough of a delay to allow the other database to be closed before the 2nd database actually opened?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps you should step back and tell us in simple, plain English what you are trying to do logically. Once readers understand what, they may have more focused responses for How it may be done.

Tell us also about the 2 databases.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Regardless of whether there is a better way, have you noticed I gave you the code you required in post #4?

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Ok so my problem is.

I have a linked table in an Access database to an excel file. The Excel file gets data from an external source and I need to refresh the connections to allow me to use the new data which can change multiple times throughout the day.

So I have the code that does this perfectly, aside from the fact that because the file is linked, it is always in a read only status and therefore it prompts me to try and save the changes each time which I cant do as I cannot overwrite the file, and nor would I want to do this anyway.

My theory was then to do the refreshing of data in another access project so that when the code is run it works as planned, which it does. So now, I want to write something that I can attach to a button that will allow me to close the active database, open and run the second database with the code, then close this and reopen the 1st database. Ideally without the user noticing what's going on, but that's not essential right now!

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Regardless of whether there is a better way, have you noticed I gave you the code you required in post #4?

Yes, and that's great I really do appreciate this - but as far as I understand it, this wont work as the 1st database will already be open and this stops the code working as planned which is why I was trying to work out a way of closing one database and opening another in that order

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Immediately the second database is opened, the first is closed.
Repeat same code in second database to reverse the process
So as far as I can see it will work - presumably you haven't tried it!

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Immediately the second database is opened, the first is closed.
Repeat same code in second database to reverse the process
So as far as I can see it will work - presumably you haven't tried it!

Sorry Colin, I didn't think it would work as I read it that the first DB would still be open. I have tried it now, (every file is saved in the same folder so I assume the only thing I need to replace in the code you kindly provided is the file name - Test.accdb).

So I put the below in a module:

On Error GoTo ErrHandler
strPath = Application.CurrentProject.Path 'change path as necessary
strName = "Test.accdb"
'open external database
Call Shell("msaccess.exe " & strPath & "" & strName, vbMaximizedFocus)
DoEvents

ExitHandler:
On Error Resume Next
Exit Function

ErrHandler:
MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in OpenDatabase routine : " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
Resume ExitHandler
End Function

but I get the error:

The command line you used to start Microsoft Access contains an operation that Microsoft Access doesn't recognise.

Exit and restart Microsoft Access using valid command-line options.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did you check your code vs Colin's example carefully?

Code:
Seems you may have missed a slash "\"  in this line

Call Shell("msaccess.exe " & strPath & "" & strName, vbMaximizedFocus)

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
I have no idea how the back slash appeared to be missing when I copied and pasted the above...it was definitely there in the code (which is as below), but I am still getting the error message

Code:
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
strPath = Application.CurrentProject.Path 'change path as necessary
strName = "Test.accdb"
'open external database
Call Shell("msaccess.exe " & strPath & "\" & strName, vbMaximizedFocus)
DoEvents

ExitHandler:
On Error Resume Next
Exit Function

ErrHandler:
MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in OpenDatabase routine : " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly + vbCritical
Resume ExitHandler
End Function

Last edited by a moderator:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I edited you code in #16. Added the slash, but then put the code within code tags.

When you post code, you should use code tags. To do so, highlight the code, then click the # sign in the window header area.

It seems the slash is/was removed by the forum software. Within code tags, the slash is processed differently (apparently).

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
I edited you code in #16. Added the slash, but then put the code within code tags.

When you post code, you should use code tags. To do so, highlight the code, then click the # sign in the window header area.

Thank you jdraw.

I have copied and pasted your edited code over mine, but still get the same error message:

The command line you used to start Microsoft Access contains an operation that Microsoft Access doesn't recognise.

Exit and restart Microsoft Access using valid command-line options.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll await Colin to respond. It is his sample with which he has detailed knowledge.
I noticed the missing slash, and offered that suggestion. However, I did note the slash was being removed, so did the edit etc.
Colin has been on the forum this AM, so I expect his return shortly.

rgwood86

Registered User.
Local time
Ah I think I may have found the problem.

I specified the exact path, but because the file is saved deep in many folders, some of which contain two words as the name of the folder, it is the space in these e.g. G:\2018\Data\Client Data\.... that is causing the problem. It looks like up to Client the path is being read correctly, but then it stops at the space and cant work because obviously that path doesn't exist.

Is there a way of getting around this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom