Can't link access table to excel spreadsheet

Lejano08

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:46
I am trying to link a table in my database to an excel spreadsheet so that I can manipulate the data using excel features.
I know that I can export the table to excel and do this, but I want to be able to link the spreadsheet so that I can click "Refresh" in excel and update the data whenever I have run my append/delete queries to get rid of old data in Access.

Whenever I try to use the "Get External Data" option in Excel, nothing happens, and I'm never taken to the screen where I choose the table that I want to link to. Am I missing a step or is there another way to do this?
Plz help

I don't think you can link a table that way around. You can see and manipulate the data but it's not updated back into the table.

If you think about it that would be very dangerous in a networked environment...

I guess I just wanted to export to excel and be able to update within the spreadsheet instead of having to re-save. I don't want to have to re-export the table whenever the data is updated in Access. I read on an office forum that it could be done and you could use the Refresh button in excel so that the spreadsheet would reflect whatever changes you made in access.

Yes you can definitely do that. What version of Excel are you using?

Using a linked table you cannot do this but could do the updates with VBA using an Excel Applications object. As recently as Excel 2007, a spreadsheet linked like a table was like a non-updatable query. I've also seen a case where you could do the link and do the update but NOT while the database was being shared. The update ability was dependent on it being an exclusive OPEN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom