can't make folders (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 09:16
I drink think, I mean think drink I mean I think puters going to drive me to drink.

My new HP Win 11 all of a sudden won't let me make new folders in file explore.
Everything I found on Goggle wants me to go into the register. No Way!
I am going to take it to Best Buy. In the meantime I used a little (Yankee engineering), of course in the south that’s called (Red Neck engineering) I renamed an unused folder and pasted it where I wanted it. What’s red neck eng. called in the in UK?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
There is a limited number of folders allowed for the root directory due to the way high level folders are stored. For other levels, there doesn't seem to be a limit.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:16
In the FAT, FAT12, and FAT16 file systems, a limit was imposed on the number of files in the root folder, I think 255 or 511 files depending on whether you stick with 8.3 names or used 255-byte names. FAT32 had a hard limit of 65,535 files per directory but didn't limit the root folder any differently than other folders. In this fine point, FAT32 differed from earlier versions of the FATxx file system. The hard limit is 4,294,967,295 files in a single NTFS folder - which is 4 Gig.

However, I find it hard to believe that a Win11 would even work on a boot partition that was based on FAT32, given the number of files that Windows carries along as baggage and the difference in security settings between the two systems. For large memory devices - memory thumb drives on steroids - there is a file system calle exFAT that also has very high limits.

HOWEVER... there is a limit on the number of characters in a file specification (either URS or drive-letter/path/name/type) to something like 255 bytes. This limit has nothing to do with the folder nesting depth and everything to do with egregiously long file or folder names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom