Can't use date() function Access97 on XP (1 Viewer)

rpadams

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:09
I have installed Access97 on my new XP computer. I applied the SR-2b patch and my existing applications seem to be working OK EXCEPT the date function won't work. In a textbox for the controlsource I have =date(). This worked fine on my old machine. On the new one I get a #NAME error. If I create a new textbox with =date(), I get the message "Function entered can't be used. You may have used a DoEvents, LBound etc or aggregate function." It doesn't make any sense. Any ideas?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:09
There is an oddball chance that you have a references error.

Get thee to a module code page. From the menu bar, follow path Tools>>References

In the customized dialog box that opens up, scroll through the list to see if any item is marked MISSING. If it is, uncheck it, then browse for it (there is a BROWSE button on this dialog box).

Adrianna

Registered User.
Local time
I guess my first question is why are you using Access 97 on an XP machine? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Access 97, although better then 95, is fairly limited.

I just tried what you explain, creating a textbox with a control source set to =date() and everything came out fine. I think that your XP must be having a specific conflict with Access 97. WIN 98 and 2000 don't seem to have any problems with interfacing Access 97.

I wish that I could be of further help, but I guess it's time to search through the Microsoft knowledgebase.:confused:

Shep

Shep
Local time
Yesterday, 18:09
I have experienced something quite similar...

On a form with a calendar control, in the On_Open event:

Me.Calendar.Value = Date

This works fine on pre-Windows 2000 operating systems, but balked in some way (can't remember the message) on 2000 and XP operating systems.

I cheated, though. I didn't have to find the reason, as I had an available textbox on another open form with the date in it that I was instead able to apply to the calendar control's value.

Sorry....no solution, just a little empathy. :)

Shep

rpadams

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all the help -- I still haven't found a solution. The reason I put Access97 on my new computer is that I am a system developer and my most important client (who is running numerous applications I wrote in Access97) PROMISED me he was upgrading to XP and if I wanted to keep the account I would have to upgrade to WinXP and OfficeXP. I did and then he calculated the cost to upgrade his network and changed his mind.
Bottom line -- I've got a Formula 1 car running in the Saturday night feature at the local track. Too bad I sold my old computer. But if you make me an offer, I'll give you a great deal on some original OfficeXP Professional software that's never been installed.

R

Rich

"I guess my first question is why are you using Access 97 on an XP machine? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Access 97, although better then 95, is fairly limited. "
Limited in what way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom