Solved Change charset of MySQL Connector 8.0 to Latin1 (1 Viewer)

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:29
Hi there, in the past, I've used the MySQL Connector 5.1 driver to connect to my MySQL database. For several reasons, I now had to update to MySQL Connector 8.0. Unfortunately MySQL Connector 8.0 doesn't support my German Umlaute by default (ä, ü etc.). What I read about this is "The default character set has changed from latin1 to utf8mb4." which explains that I didn't have problems with 5.1. I tried adding Charset=Latin1 to my connection string, which didn't help however:

Constr = "Driver=MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver;" & _
"Server=" & server & ";User = " & user & ";Password = " & pw & ";Database=" & datenbank & ";CharSet=latin1;"

If I downgrade back to Driver 5.1., it works again. So the MySQL Connector must be the culprit. Is there another setting that I have to change in order to switch MySQL Connector 8.0 to latin1? Thanks for help.

Frank

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:29
not sure but you can try to make an ODBC and Identify the Character Set to Use.
you can Open the New odbc (by notepad) and you can just concatenate (the Values) in it
to make a Connection string.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:29
I tried adding Charset=Latin1 to my connection string, which didn't help however:

Constr = "Driver=MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver;" & _
Look at the quoted text above. Lean back and process it for a moment...

You are using the Unicode Driver but want it to support an ANSI charset. - This doesn't sound like a promising endeavor to me.
I suggest you change the connection string to "Driver=MySQL ODBC 8.0 ANSI Driver;" and then try again if it responds to "Charset=latin1;".

In theory, the Unicode driver should also support German Umlaute, of course. However, I currently cannot remember whether it works with Access and linked tables.

perlfan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:29
Thank you so much! Ansi Driver solved my issue! Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom