Change to Multi-User (1 Viewer)

wendollp

Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Hi All,

I am looking for the most efficient and effective way to change an existing multi form database to a multi-user format. I have read so much information but really need to dummies version on what is the best options for me.

Thanks

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:30
you dont need to do anything at all

an access database is automatically multi user

------------
however, look in this site for information about splitting the database

the view is that for robustness, the database in a multi user system should be split into 2 (ie 2 databases) - one database contains just the data tables, and one contains the forms, queries and code - for 99% of things there is no discernable difference - just a few special cases where some things need changing in this scenario - now each user has a copy of the code/forms database (front end), and they all share access to the single data database (backend). what you are trying to avoid is multiple users using the same copy of the code database simultaneously. you may be ok, but this is likely to produce catastrophic problems at some point. also try to avoid putting code databases on a network drive. they are best on a local machine, even though this means each user needs a proper copy of access

--------
you may see info about file/record locking strategies. its not really necessary unless you have a special need. access without locking DOES actually use locking, but with a strategy called "optimistic locking" which is generally adequate

wendollp

Local time
Yesterday, 23:30
Thank you for the information. I will look at this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom