Check box checked when information placed in folder or table (1 Viewer)

awade

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:47
I have a form with numerous command buttons that open various folders external to the database. I am looking at creating a folder to store recommendations against a certain serial number item.
What i would like to do is have a check box that indicates "checked" when new data is placed in the folder. Once the recommendation has been actioned it will be transferred to a tale stored in the database under "historical data"

Is there another way this could be achieved? could i have the data inputted straight into a table and have a check box associated with the table "checked" once data is in there. Then once the recommendation has been actioned it can have another check box that can be checked to transfer the data to the historical table???

So many questions / options

Looking for some help on the best way.

Cheers

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
yes, a checkbox could be shown, if you fill in data into a field. This check box would show in a query/form.
select *,Not IsNull([field]) as CheckBox from table

But I would have a field, [xferHistorical] (as Boolean) to indicate it was moved.
you could even have a button to DO the transfer and mark the field.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:47
Do you create a folder from access, or manually ? Normal practice is not to "move" data, but mark it as Inactive or expired, that way you can still access historical data, and report on it simply by checking for the expired flag being set.

awade

Registered User.
Local time
@Minty,

Thanks. I am new to the whole access thing, as i have been using this database all wrong with external folders to store data.

I am now trying to learn how to store all the information in the database so i can access current and historical data. My first task is to find a way to input the data against each serial number whilst notifying the user that there is information there that needs addressing. Once addressed i want to make the information "disappear" but to be able to recall the historical data through a query.

Is there a a simple yet effective way to add a check box or something similar to a form that will highlight to the user that there is information requiring addressing? Once i get that bit sorted out i will try to tackle the other tasks.

Thanks

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you clarify the actual task in plain non database English?
My understanding is that you have some data in the database with related data stored in multiple folders per record in the database?
If you simply want to mark the record in the database as "has spurious folders - needs managing" Then yes a Yes/no/checkbox field added to your record would be a simple method of doing this.
You can use Access to check if a folder exists and if it has any files in it, so you could automate this in some way.
Not sure I've quite grasped what you are trying to acheive.

awade

Registered User.
Local time
@minty

I am after a way of being notified that new information has been placed in the database that is linked to a specific serial number.

eg

Serial number CAE540123 has had new information added to a folder. This can be shown as a checked box. Once that data has been reviewed and actioned the checked box is no longer checked.

I would like to have all the data associated with that serial number stored in the database instead of a folder located elsewhere on the hard drive. (like it is now) This way i can then run a query to access historical data.

Thanks

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay - so what is the mechanism for the new information being added ? What event can we use to trigger the checkbox being updated?

awade

Registered User.
Local time
@minty

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you have been in an internet black spot for the last 2 days..

I would like to have the data entered into a table that has all the serial numbers that the database looks at. When new data (a recommendation) is added to the table associated with a specific serial number, a check box is checked on the form displaying all of the other data associated with that serial number. Once the recommendation has been actioned, the data can then be transferred to the historical data table and the checkbox is no longer checked.

Thanks

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you describe the main data table layout, is it units with a model / unique serial number?
What format does the recommendation data take? Is it free text? A specific set of "things" ?
I'm still struggling to see the data structure with your descriptions sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom