Clear Record Form (1 Viewer)

SoxPats83

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:32
i know that the wizard in a form makes it very easy for you to delete the record you are currently in. however i feel like i have hit a wall in finding a way to clear all data entered in the current record. i do not want to delete the record in question just clear it as if it was new.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
To what end? Clearing all data from a record but retaining the record is a rather odd requirement. Are you talking about a form that is bound to a table or query or an unbound form?

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 21:32
Create a form from the table in question and either do not show the primary key of the record or make the properties of that field checked so you can not delete - check the properties, data and see what options are available.

Caution.. some fields may be linked to other records and you could cause problems but essentially the form will only show you what fields you place in it and of these you are able to set the property to allow edit, delete etc.

You don't delete the record, just the data in some fields of that record.

SoxPats83

Registered User.
Local time
To what end? Clearing all data from a record but retaining the record is a rather odd requirement. Are you talking about a form that is bound to a table or query or an unbound form?

this is a bound form. imagine a form that has multiple records, and each record has fields like; name, address, phone number. and rather that going through these fields and deleteing their contents one by one, you just hit a button that deletes their contents? that as opposed to deleting the record itself where you would then lose what would hypothetically be "Record # 123456". i hope that clears some things up.

SoxPats83

Registered User.
Local time
also, it may be worth noting, some of these fields i am looking to clear are option buttons.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 21:32
clearing a field is just another way to say updating the value to null.

An update query set the to fields you want to make null could be activated by a command button on the form to null the fields for that record - that is if this is really what you want to do.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
this is a bound form. imagine a form that has multiple records, and each record has fields like; name, address, phone number. and rather that going through these fields and deleteing their contents one by one, you just hit a button that deletes their contents? that as opposed to deleting the record itself where you would then lose what would hypothetically be "Record # 123456". i hope that clears some things up.

Actually, this makes even less sense! "Record numbers" have virtually no meaning in Access databases! A table in Access in essentially a bucket where all records reside, but in no particular order.

When you see, for example, Record # 123456 of 200000 Records, that is simply the relative position of the record in the current Recordset. As new records are added or records are deleted the data in Record # 123456 will be different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom