Combo Box Undo Not Working as Expected (1 Viewer)

dashiellx

Local time
Today, 07:46
Good afternoon, everyone.

I have a form where users enter assignment criteria.

In a combo box, the user selects the “Criteria Field” and then enters the criteria value in the “result” text box control.

If the Criteria field selected can have multiple standard values for the assignment (i.e. Financial Class, Health Plan, etc.), on the before update event of the combo box, I am undoing the combo box selection and opening a dialog form that shows all the possible values for that criteria field in a multi-select list box.

The user selects which values they want and closes the form.

Everything seems to work correctly, however a blank (Null or ZLS value) criteria result is being added as well. It would appear I am not using the undo correctly.

Attached a slimdown version of the app. Thanks in advance.

William.

Attachments

• CriteriaAssignment.zip
    117.1 KB · Views: 71

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 04:46
You are initiating a two-step selection process, but your step one selection uses a control bound to data in the result set. In this sense your process is upside down. The tail is wagging the dog.

Your popup selection form makes way more sense. I would put two lists on that form, the one on the left with the step-one selection list. When your user makes a selection in that list, then update the list on the right to show detailed options related to that selection. Then you've encapsulated your entire selection process under one roof, like a selection wizard. All your code will get simpler, and your lists--living right next door to each other--will have way less trouble communicating.

To start the selection process, put a single button on the main form.

When the selection process is complete, and your user presses save instead of cancel, only then should you start to edit or insert data in the result set.

Hope this helps. I know it doesn't answer your initial question, but the specific problem you have occurs because of a broader problem in the design of the process. Solve the broader problem, and the specific problem will not even exist anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom