Compile a project at start (1 Viewer)

AliyuKatsina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:44
Hi,

I have developed an access project for multi user access through the split db. As I am compiling the front end on my 64 bit HP laptop, any time a user using 32 bit windows installs the front end, it wont run until I give him a copy that I compiled on a computer running 32 bit windows.

Is there a way that I can force a compilation on start if the windows is not 64 bit?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:44
When you compile are you talking about compiling the vba project or converting the app to ACCDE?

If the latter then you will always need to create two separate versions for both bitnesses.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:44
Hi,

You can use Conditional compilation in your VBA code but if you want the compilation to happen when the user starts your application, then you’ll have to distribute uncompiled versions of your database.

AliyuKatsina

Registered User.
Local time
When you compile are you talking about compiling the vba project or converting the app to ACCDE?

If the latter then you will always need to create two separate versions for both bitnesses.

Just compiling the project to be able to run on that computer.

AliyuKatsina

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

You can use Conditional compilation in your VBA code but if you want the compilation to happen when the user starts your application, then you’ll have to distribute uncompiled versions of your database.

How can I use conditional compilation?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:44
Hi,

Here’s another potential resource at UtterAccess.

Hope it helps...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
Mainly for my benefit please, but it might help others as well.

I *thought* that as long as you used 32 bit access it would run on 64 bit machines as well as 32 bit O/S machines.?

I ask as my works laptop was 64 bit, but my home laptop 32bit, and I have just made and accde on the works laptop and it opened fine on the home laptop.?

I do understand the difference if it is 64 bit access.

TIA

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Gasman

It doesn't matter what bitness the OS has.
32-bit Access can of course be used in 64-bit Windows though not the other way round.
Indeed in many ways that's the ideal setup to get the benefits of a 64-bit OS without the issues of using 64-bit Access.

The ACCDE bitness needs to match the Access version used

Does that answer your question?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
That clarifies it, thank you.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:44
Gasman, in fact most of Windows on 64-bit machines IS still 32-bit because they run under the SVCHOST.EXE "shell" that makes memory look like it really IS just 32-bit addressing. The Windows built-in code runs under SVCHOST just like the layered applications. Microsoft did that because otherwise they would have had to rewrite a pot-load of their own utilities. File copy and rename and other simple file-system operations are all 32-bit. The Print spooler is 32-bit. Most of the networking is 32-bit. The "Accessories" stuff is mostly 32-bit - like Wordpad, Paint, most of the disk utilities, and a lot of the diagnostics on any system that came with them.

Therefore, if you have 32-bit Office installed on a Win 64-bit box, you just run the Office apps in a SVCHOST shell and they are fat, dumb, and happy doing it.

Just for snorts and giggles, open up Task Manager some time, show processes from all users, and then take a look at just how many SVCHOSTs are running. You'll be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom