Configuring Trusted Locations which remain valid on a different machine (1 Viewer)

apeters

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:56
I have developed a database in Microsoft Access 2013. I wish to install and run that database on another machine on which I have already installed the MS Access Runtime.

In order to allow the database to run correctly on the target machine, I need to add two Trusted Locations - one for the front-end database and another for the back-end database.

The folder paths on the runtime machine are different to those on the development machine, so how do I add Trusted Locations (on my development machine) which remain valid when the database is copied to the target machine?

Must I trick it by simply creating an identical, dummy folder structure on the development machine (would this even work?), or is there a more elegant way?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:56
Trusted locations are stored in the registry under Current_User, thus they are not stored with the database, or even the install. I would edit the registry on the runtime machine and add them there.

apeters

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:56
Trusted locations are stored in the registry under Current_User, thus they are not stored with the database, or even the install. I would edit the registry on the runtime machine and add them there.

Thank you, suddenly all the issues I've been having with this make sense:)

For the benefit of others with similar issues, the Registry path is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\

(might be a different version number in place of 12.0).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help! That path is almost burned into my brain, I've added it to so many machines. :p

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
I don't understand why you don't keep the folder structure identical on both PC but that's another story. Here is what I do:

1 - Create a folder MyApplication
2 - Open this folder and create 2 new folders: FE and BE
3 - Save proper files.

Now add MyApplication to the Trusted Location and don't forget to select the subfolder option.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't understand why you don't keep the folder structure identical on both PC but that's another story. Here is what I do:

1 - Create a folder MyApplication
2 - Open this folder and create 2 new folders: FE and BE
3 - Save proper files.

Now add MyApplication to the Trusted Location and don't forget to select the subfolder option.

Are you suggesting that this will carry forward the trusted location to the second PC? In my experience, it will not.

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
@Paul: one has to be very careful with the PATH since that's the only thing that is saved. Anyway I will check this later this afternoon...

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Tested it yesterday using a shortcut from a second user on my Lap and it worked. Can't do a full test because MS complains about Office 2007 residue still present in my system...

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:56
Trusted locations are stored in each user's profile (registry) on each PC they use.

If you were to make an installer packages that added the trusted location, it would only be added for the user running the installer. Example: log on as administrator to install will set eh trusted location for the administrator user not any other user.

If you are on a Domain you could push it out with GP or a logon script.

Also check out:

http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Trust_Center:Trusted_Locations

There you will find a free tool for adding the trusted locations.

Last edited:

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
@HiTechCoach:At what time does Access updates the register? When selecting add?

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 13:56
@HiTechCoach:At what time does Access updates the register? When selecting add?

selecting add what?

If you are asking about trusted locations then it only does it when told to do so explicitly. You can use tursted locations to add a folder. You can tell Access to trust a document (databases). It is not done automatically. It also needs to be done before Access is started.

You could also set the VBA security level to Low which has the effect of turning off trusted locations. This is so easy to do that it really modes whole Trusted Locations/documents security model useless.

Last edited:

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
@BTrimmell: using

Laptop: Acer 14".
Off.: Office 365 Personal.
App: Access 32 bits, desktop.

I tested the functioning of trusted locations: I must tell you that your are wrong. Registry updates are done by Access when accepting mods.
One very strange thing occurred that makes me wonder:
I removed a trusted location, registry updated properly but the app remained secured!!! It seems that a security flag is kept with the app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom