Connect Access to internet (1 Viewer)

JessicaBrown

Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Hi,

I am a programmer mostly in Php but i've been asked lately to connect an Access database to internet. It's a schedule where workers will be able to view their work shift from their home and even modify it.

Now the challenge is that employer doesn't want to let me bring a copy of their database home because it contains sensitive documents so i need some info.

Is their a general script to do this so i can try without having to ask for their file?

Thanks

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 06:13
The easiest way would be to put the Access DB on the internet host(which would need to be Microsoft based) and use PHP to provide the interface to interact with it.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:13
If you are going to perform CRUD operations you are going to need access to that .mdb file sooner or later.

The MS Access database has to be exposed to the web app you are building in some way. This means either

1) What Rabbie says, the .mdb file resides on a third-party hoster where your web app resides. How is the customer going to feel about this considering he won't even let you the developer have access to it?

2) The .mdb file resides on their network and you build a web app to be installed on their webserver which has access to that network. Do they have their own network and webserver?

3) Same as point 2 but you build a web service on their web server and the web app queries that from a third party hoster.

Personally I don't build web apps that connect to MS Access if I can possibly avoid it because it is a file-based datasource and easily corrupted by multiple connections.

Do you have any experience with .net? Your client obviously works in a windows environment. Why not stick with windows web technology?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom