Connecting Outlook's contacts to Access database (1 Viewer)

ekta

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:58
Hi Everyone

I want to know if there is a way to connect the contacts stored in outlook with Access database.
I have a form that has a field named Contacts Name. Now the user wants that he should be able to click on a button or on that field that would take him to Outlook and display the contacts full information. I don’t know if this is possible.

Thx in advance
Ekta

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
There is actually a couple of ways to do this.

1) Create a link to the Outlook Address book. Go to - File - Get External Data - Link Tables - Change File of type to Outlook and select the Address book and your Global Address book. This will create a table link and you can create a form to go along with it.

2) You can actually get the Global Address Book to pop up on a button. I attached a sample db (A2K - if you need A97 let me know). Use form2 for the example and click on the form with ...

Autoeng

Attachments

• mailexmp.zip
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,289

ekta

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Autoeng

Thx for your reply. I understood what you said. But I already have my form set up. I want a button next to the contact field where the user will enter contacts name and when he clicks on that button it should take him to outlook and display that particular contacts full information.
How can I do that?

As you said to create a link to the outlook address book. I will link it to the button that will open that contacts information. I am a little confused.

The database you sent has some good stuff and I am sure I can use it. The button on form2 opens the entire contacts list however i want to see the contact information whose name is entered in that field.

Ekta

2) You can actually get the Global Address Book to pop up on a button. I attached a sample db (A2K - if you need A97 let me know). Use form2 for the example and click on the form with ...

Autoeng

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
OK. If you don't have room on your form to display the data they want to see create another form with recordsource set to Outlook Global Address. Put as many text boxes on the form as what you think data they will want to see and set their control source to the appropriate field.

Back to your original form now. Create a command button and use it to open the new form with Open the form and find specific data to display. Select the combo box on the left and the matching field on the right. Click the link button in the middle. Continue through the wizard.

Now when you start typing in a name on the main form it will auto fill in and you will also have drop down capability. When you push the command button it will open the second form with the info filled in from the first form.

Good luck. If you need another sample db let me know and I'll send you another with this already on it.

Autoeng

ekta

Registered User.
Local time
Thx again Autoeng

I will try it and let you know. I would appreciate it if you could send the sample db.

Thx a lot for your help.
Ekta

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Here she is. Use form3 to select the name, click the button which opens form4 with the info filled in.

Autoeng

Attachments

• mail2.zip
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,048

ekta

Registered User.
Local time
I opened the db. You said to select the name from the combo but its empty right now. If I type in the name of the contact already in my contacts list and click on the button it says.." You can't carry out this action at the present time". What does that mean?

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
You might have to set the external link with the Outlook global address book again. If it is not set up the same as mine you might have to do some tweaking with the record source of the form. Set up the external link first and let Access provide the name for the linked table and see if that helps. If it doesn't send me info as to what your linked table is named.

Autoeng

Sam1982

Local time
Today, 18:58
Autoeng said:
There is actually a couple of ways to do this.

1) Create a link to the Outlook Address book. Go to - File - Get External Data - Link Tables - Change File of type to Outlook and select the Address book and your Global Address book. This will create a table link and you can create a form to go along with it.

Autoeng

Hi would it be possible to get a A97 version of this

Thanks very much for your help

Sam

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Sam1982:

I've been off the forum for a while as work has been too hectic. I will try to get a A97 sample posted soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom