Connection string for DAO Azure Integrated set-up (1 Viewer)

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:44
Hello - my company has migrated some DBs to Azure and I want to update the DAO connection string in VBA. Suggestions for string formats that work well please? Thanks. I was trying the string(s) below for example but I get error 3170 installable ISAM error?

Code:
gsConnectionDB = "Provider=MSOLEDBSQL;Data Source=SERVER;Initial Catalog=DATABASE;Connect Timeout=0;Authentication=ActiveDirectoryIntegrated;Use Encryption for Data=true"
gsConnectionDB = "Server=SERVER; Authentication=Active Directory Integrated; Encrypt=True; Database=DATABASE;"

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:44
We use SQL Server users, but see if this helps:

Code:
Public Const dbPassThruConnStringCabTS As String = "ODBC;Driver={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};Server=tcp:sql-prod.abc.com,1433;" & _
                                              "Database=CabTS;Uid=OurUser;Pwd=OurPassword;Encrypt=yes;TrustServerCertificate=Yes;" & _
                                              "Connection Timeout=4900;"

Our Azure guy gave me the basics of it.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Hello - my company has migrated some DBs to Azure and I want to update the DAO connection string in VBA. Suggestions for string formats that work well please? Thanks. I was trying the string(s) below for example but I get error 3170 installable ISAM error?

Code:
gsConnectionDB = "Provider=MSOLEDBSQL;Data Source=SERVER;Initial Catalog=DATABASE;Connect Timeout=0;Authentication=ActiveDirectoryIntegrated;Use Encryption for Data=true"
gsConnectionDB = "Server=SERVER; Authentication=Active Directory Integrated; Encrypt=True; Database=DATABASE;"
This appears to be a connection string for an OLEDB connection, not a DAO connection. I think you also have to include TrustServerCertificate, as Paul's sample shows.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
This is the version I'm trying based on your input and others.... still no luck...

Code:
DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL};Authentication=ActiveDirectoryIntegrated;SERVER=ServerName;DATABASE=DatabaseName;ApplicationIntent=READONLY;TrustServerCertificate=No;Encrypt=Yes

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
By the way, putting in just the server name + database name in the ODBC app, I can easily connect to the tables. So the string does not need a username or anything like that. But how to convert that DSN string into a non DSN string?

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
And/or can I use VBA to insert a DSN in the ODBC utility?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
This is the version I'm trying based on your input and others.... still no luck...

Code:
DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL};Authentication=ActiveDirectoryIntegrated;SERVER=ServerName;DATABASE=DatabaseName;ApplicationIntent=READONLY;TrustServerCertificate=No;Encrypt=Yes
Sorry, I should have been more precise. You must use TrustServerCertificate=Yes

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:44
That syntax looks a little odd. All our DSN's in Access are as follows:

Code:
DRIVER=ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server;SERVER=ServernName;UID=DbUser;PWD=ServerPassword;Trusted_Connection=No;APP=Microsoft Office;DATABASE=DatabaseName

Obviously, you need to change to Trusted_Connection=Yes , and remove the user and password bits.

CedarTree

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys. For some reason, when I had tried ODBC at the beginning it kept bombing but now I tried it and it worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom