Controls Jumping About When I Try to Move Them (1 Viewer)

TheBaz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:16
Hi folks,

I've recently upgraded on of my systems from Access 2003 to 2010.

In the past I've always used to the ctrl key and the cursor keys to move and fine tune the position of my controls on my reports. However since upgrading the controls jump about all over the place when I try to move them.

I have noticed that when I've selected the controls and start to move them a little black line appears on the vertical ruler and when I release the controls they seem to move to it's position.

I'm assuming this is some kind of new feature in 2010 that I'm not familiar with.

Can anyone help? It's driving me nuts!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
Try to highlight one or more, then right-click and select Layout/Remove.

TheBaz

Registered User.
Local time
Remove Layout is disabled.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
Are you in design view?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 14:16
In the past I've always used to the ctrl key and the cursor keys to move and fine tune the position of my controls on my reports. However since upgrading the controls jump about all over the place when I try to move them.
Then only use the Cursor key to move the controls, Ctrl key and the Cursor keys together moves the control to the next Grid point.
A little explanation "Snap to grid".
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/turn-snap-to-grid-behavior-on-or-off-HP005188328.aspx

TheBaz

Registered User.
Local time
Then only use the Cursor key to move the controls, Ctrl key and the Cursor keys together moves the control to the next Grid point.

Just using the cursor key didn't make any difference, I'm still getting the same effect.

Here's the sequence of events:

• I select the control
  • I use the cursor key to move it
  • The control moves the correct position
  • I go to move the control again to fine-tune its position
  • A black line appears in the vertical ruler further up from the actual control
  • I move the control
  • As soon as I release the control it jumps to the position of the black line

TheBaz

Registered User.
Local time
A couple of other strange things I have noticed:

It only seems to occur after a certain point in the detail view. If I create the control further up the report it moves around fine, but as soon as I move it down to the bottom where I want it, the strange behaviour starts to happen.

When I click and hold on another control a black area the same height as the control appears next to it on the vertical ruler.

When I click and hold on the offending control the black line I mentioned before appears instead of a black block.

As I said in my previous post, it only seems to happen after roughly 51cm on the vertical ruler.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 14:16
As I said in my previous post, it only seems to happen after roughly 51cm on the vertical ruler.
I think it is because you reach the limit of width/height in MS-Access for a report/form.

TheBaz

Registered User.
Local time
I think it is because you reach the limit of width/height in MS-Access for a report/form.

I think you might be right. I've just realised that I've reached the maximum height for a detail section in design view and I'm beginning to suspect that is what's causing the erratic behaviour.

I've done a bit of resizing on my controls and sub-reports and the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks for all your valiant efforts everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom