converting data types with linked tables (1 Viewer)

c19h28O2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:08
Hi,

I have 2 linked tables, I would like to join these tables in access, however the first table's field is a memo and the second table is a number. I have tried to cint() the field in a query but I get an error message "Explicit conversion from datatype text to smallint is not allowed"

Any ideas how to get around this problem?

Thanks

Michael

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
It would be helpful to know why you think a number field would equal a large text field. I think you might find it useful to read up on relational database design

c19h28O2

Registered User.
Local time
Rabbie,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't design the database or the tables that I am trying to join, In an ideal world they would both be a number but as I say I had no input on the table design.

So back to my original question, is it possible to convert (in access) a memo field to a number to allow joins on tables where the data types are not the same but the same data is held.

Thanks

Michael

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
A memo datatype is a bit different from other datatypes. Does this memo field really only have numbers in? You might be able to convert this to a number using the Val() function in a query and join the query to your other table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom