copy an entire record including the index number (1 Viewer)

tglock19

Local time
Today, 04:32
Good morning, My name is Troy, I have been an access user for many years. Is there a way to copy an entire record including the index number, whilst adding an a, b, of d to the new key.. I am trying to reissue the same job but to a different agency

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:32
Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:32
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

You might consider posting your questions in the regular forums.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:32
While considering theDBguy's suggestion, consider also whether you always, sometimes, or never want the original agency to also have the job. And consider as well whether you need historical information about former job issuances that are complete now.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 03:32
Is there a way to copy an entire record including the index number, whilst adding an a, b, of d to the new key.. I am trying to reissue the same job but to a different agency

First, the answer is yes--you build an INSERT INTO query:

But, before you do, can you explain your situation better? There's a lot of little things in your post making me question if what you are asking is the best way to accomplish the actual goal you are trying to achieve.

1. Does the existing table have an autonumber primary key?
2. Where/how exactly will you be adding this 'a, b, of d' to the new key?
3. What exactly do you mean by 'index key'?

Perhaps a screenshot of your table structure along with a specific data example of what you want to accomplish would shed more light on this.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 01:32
Good morning, My name is Troy, I have been an access user for many years. Is there a way to copy an entire record including the index number, whilst adding an a, b, of d to the new key.. I am trying to reissue the same job but to a different agency
"...whilst adding am a, b, of d to the new key."

Please explain in a narrative the purpose of this. It sounds like you are trying to accomplish something amounting to a suffix that differentiates a set of related items. If so, this isn't the way to do it, but we don't really know what the appropriate approach would be until the whole picture is clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom