Copy Db to C Drive & Run (1 Viewer)

robjones01

Access 97 + / VB6.0 +
Local time
Today, 05:40
I need help.

I have a database that around 60 users use at the same time. It is split into a Front End & Back End Database.

What I would like to do is create some sort of app that would be on the users start menu, and when they run it, it would do the following:

* Copy Database from Server to C: Drive
* Run Database from C: Drive

The FE Database is a '.mde' file.

I have wrote a batch script that will do this, but when it executes the database, the 'Command Prompt screen' doesn't close. Is there anyway of automating this in the database?

Daveyk0

Local time
Today, 00:40
:confused: You know, that is actually a great idea. I am in about the same situation, possibly with only aboput 25-30 users. The front-end database corrupts occationally, for what ever network related reason (I'm not taking tha blaim <grin>. I'v concidered running the front end on each individual machine (I run it on mine, but I am the current auther of this monstrocity of a project). I do not know windows (2000) batch programming. I can see where it would be nice that everytime the user clicks on the Service Database icon, on their desktop, that it always copies the latest version to their C or D drive. I know visual basic but windows batch programming I am too rusty on (I use to be prettry good at DOS batch programming before the Windows 2.1 & 3.1 days - hahaha).

If you find out how to close that command window, please let me know too.

Take care,

Dave

snoko

Registered User.
Local time
Create another db called start.mdb with one module and a AutoExec macro to run the function, this module contains the function to copy the actual fe from the server to the client c:\my databaes for instance and open it.

Place a shortcut to the start.mdb on each users desktop.

This means that when you make changes to the fe you only need to copy it to the server location and each time a user clicks the shortcut they get a fresh up to date copy of the db.

robjones01

Access 97 + / VB6.0 +
Local time
Cheers for that Snoko.

I actually wanted help in writing the module.

I can't find any feature in VB which will allow me to copy the database to the C: Drive.

Any ideas?

snoko

Registered User.
Local time
Rob,

Use FileCopy SourceFile, DestinationFile to copy the file and then use the Shell commend to start the database.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:40
Just as a sanity check, every user having the need for this function must have a licensed copy of Access. (Or Office Pro, which includes Access.)

Unless it was developed using Access Developer Kit and you distribute the run-time version of Jet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom