Solved Create Two tables (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:35
Teri, it is rare that we judge unless/until you start doing things that reveal you ignored our advice. Most of us are housebroken and rarely leave messes on the floor. We can sometimes be emphatic but it is not usually from anger. It is more from enthusiasm or trying to emphasize something.

Since you claim to still be learning, may I offer a bit of (I hope constructive) advice? Read up on Database Normalization. In this forum, which IS oriented to databases, just Search for the word Normalization to get you some reading matter. On the general web you have to include Database because Normalization also is used in mathematics, chemistry, diplomatic relations, and a few other disciplines. Once you understand normalization better, you will better understand comments about parent/child or independent/dependent table relationships. And you will learn that what you want is to set up a Foreign Key in a child table to match a Primary Key in a parent table. And Access can do at least SOME of that automatically for you if you set it up right. It's a GREAT tool to have in your Access toolkit. And it all starts with normalization.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:35
I was trying to make my course details form page cleaner. I still have 2 subforms to add. Changes and Issues these need to link to the course ID and also the event ID. Please don't judge I am still learning and know that things could be cleaner. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hi Teri

The attached now does what you want.

I added an unbound textbox and added a Forms Reference to it and then named it txtTopicID
The Forms Reference is this:- =[Forms]![frmCourseDetails]![SF_Lessons]![frmLessonTopic].[Form]![TopicID]
This reference gets the Primary Key from the subform frmLessonTopic

I then modified the LinkMaster/LinkChild fields as shown in the attached

Attachments

• Topic.jpg
    Topic.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Test2.zip
    654.8 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom