Creating a class roster from a combo box (1 Viewer)

Oracle741

Local time
Today, 17:57
I have been working on a training database, and keep trying to find a solution to the following problem:

I have a form that the Training Admin will use to select students to a new class.

they select the Class Name from a ComboBox tied to TblClass

they select an Instructor from a ComboBox tied to TblInstructor

and then, I am trying to to use some method to select students by identifying information (EmplID, LName, FNAme, MName, EMP# from TblEmployee) one at a time (from a combo box, or some other easy select method) that will pass the students information to a list, viewable and editable (remove a name) before it is committed to a TblCompletedTraining

I looked at a cascading combo-boxes, and that looks like a good method to selecting from the large number of employees in TblEmployee, but I am unsure how to store each selection on the form, and then allow the Training Admin the ability to delete members from the pool prior to committing.

I am reluctant to use the multivalue field as a solution for a couple of reasons;

1. lots of discussion stating it is a bad idea.
2. It explicitly states to be used for relatively short lists only (no value limit given; so I assume 100 or less items)
3. will probably need to covert this database sometime in the future.

I thought I had figured this out, by using a combo-box selection to generate a filter, but it leaves me with only one selection in the end...

I am probably just missing the obvious; any and all help is appreciated;).

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:57
Have you considered a multiselect listbox?

http://www.baldyweb.com/MultiselectAppend.htm

Do do what you're describing, you'd need to use a local table to temporarily store the selected items, then append them from there to the actual data table behind your commit button.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 23:57
To manage selection of multiple students I have two listboxes, each using multiselect as suggested by Paul: Left-hand one showing the students on the roster (initially none), and the RH one showing all students, that have not yet completed the class. A button between the two moves/removes students from one listbox to the other listbox.

Actually, to add students to the roster I add them to the underlying query [Correction: table, of course], and requery the listbox.

The query showing untrained students excludes the ones already trained in this class, and also ones currently shown in the roster.

Attachments

• New Picture.png
    New Picture.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 212

Oracle741

Local time
spikepl,

that is exactly what I was envisioning. Would you be willing to share the 'magic behind the curtain' for that form?

And when I say exactly, I am not exaggerating; I also need to filter students by a JobCode, and each JobCode has a different training need. Your 'select department' field could work in a similar manner for what I am doing. Brilliant!

Oracle741

Local time
The query showing untrained students excludes the ones already trained in this class, and also ones currently shown in the roster.

I have been reverse engineering the form, but this last statement has me a bit confused. Can anyone clarify? I mean I am not sure how I would trigger this query/ arrange it in the form.:confused:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not my quote, but presumably means that if I have taken class xyz, I will not show up on the list of untrained students.

Oracle741

Local time
Thanks Paul, what I suppose I am lacking is what would the code be to call a particular query.

I think the best place for it would be CurrentRosterList: event: after update?

Oh, and thanks for the Multiselect listbox idea. Perfect way to go.

Ken

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem Ken. As to where the code would be, that would depend on the methodology, but certainly the listbox after update event is a candidate. From the look of it, spikepl probably has code behind the buttons.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 23:57
I will not share the code because there are many features involved here that are not apparent from the screen shot, and I would have to disentangle them. Wait 6 weeks and get this app (no source code though) at a very reasonable price :D

The mechanics are not very complex ...apply some logic and you'll get the answer. But if not then just ask - I don't mind answering stuff that is not obvious from documention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom