Creating a SQL query from access (1 Viewer)

mikke3141

Local time
Today, 09:15
Hi,

I am trying to generate a SQL-string from Access to make a UPDATE from excel to the Access database.

Code:
 UPDATE CountryTbl INNER JOIN EmployeeTbl ON CountryTbl.CountryID = EmployeeTbl.Country_ID SET EmployeeTbl.Country_ID = "Italy" WHERE (((EmployeeTbl.EmpID)=50));

This will of course not work as Italy is not a the ID, but the Country name itself. Access provides Combobox to lookup the relevant values and related keys when updating values, but how do the same in the SQL code. I tried something like in the attached picture to generate the code, but it did not work.

Attachments

• snap2.png
    snap2.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 72

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:15
you put the Criteria to the Update to field:
put "Italy" on Criteria under Country.

mikke3141

Local time
Italy is not the criteria, but the value that I want to enter to the employee table for the employee with number 1234. And Italy word is not in the employee table, but in the Country table that is linked to the employee table ([CountryTbl].[CountryID]=[EmployeeTbl].[Country_ID]. How can it be done?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
Hi. Can you describe using plain words what you want the query to do? For example, I'd like to update all records in the employees table to change their status from active to inactive if they live in Italy. Also, is the Country_ID field in EmployeeTbl a lookup field?

mikke3141

Local time
I want to change the country of employee 1234 in EmployeeTbl to Italy using the Country information that is located in the linked table of CountryTbl. Basically after the update the EmployeeTbl would contain the Country key of Italy. At the moment of update I do not know the country key number in CountryTbl, just the country in question Italy. The countryID in EmployeeTbl and the CountryID in CountryTbl are equal and linked.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I want to change the country of employee 1234 in EmployeeTbl to Italy using the Country information that is located in the linked table of CountryTbl. Basically after the update the EmployeeTbl would contain the Country key of Italy. At the moment of update I do not know the country key number in CountryTbl, just the country in question Italy. The countryID in EmployeeTbl and the CountryID in CountryTbl are equal and linked.
Okay, thanks! Just a guess but how about?
Code:
UPDATE EmployeeTbl 

SET Country_ID=DLookup("CounryID","CountryTbl","Country='Italy'") 

WHERE EmpID=1234
Hope it helps...

mikke3141

Local time
Thank you DBguy, your solution is updating the field in question.

Code:
SQL_string = "UPDATE (ManagerTbl INNER JOIN CCTbl ON ManagerTbl.ManID = CCTbl.Manager_ID) INNER JOIN (ColAgrTbl INNER JOIN " & _
"(LocationTbl INNER JOIN ((CountryTbl INNER JOIN (ContractTbl INNER JOIN EmployeeTbl ON ContractTbl.CoID = EmployeeTbl.Contract_ID) " & _
"ON CountryTbl.CountryID = EmployeeTbl.Country_ID) INNER JOIN (MonthTbl INNER JOIN HCTbl ON MonthTbl.ID = HCTbl.Month_ID) ON " & _
"EmployeeTbl.EmpID = HCTbl.EmpID) ON LocationTbl.LocID = EmployeeTbl.Location_ID) ON ColAgrTbl.CAID = EmployeeTbl.Collective_Agreement_ID) " & _
"ON CCTbl.CCID = EmployeeTbl.Cost_Center_ID SET EmployeeTbl.Country_ID = DLookup(CountryTbl.CountryID, 'CountryTbl', (CountryTbl.Country)='Italy') WHERE (((EmployeeTbl.EmpID)=1234));"

The SQL SET part however just empties to CountryID and does not maintain it with the correct ID for employee 1234.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you DBguy, your solution is updating the field in question.
The SQL SET part however just empties to CountryID and does not maintain it with the correct ID for employee 1234.
The SQL you posted doesn't look anything like the one I posted, so I am not sure how the two are related. In other words, you lost me with your last statement quoted above. Sorry.

arnelgp

Local time
why do you have too much join?
what tables need to be updated beside EmployeeTbl?

mikke3141

Local time
Well just to clarify I removed the joins

Code:
SQL_string = "UPDATE CountryTbl INNER JOIN EmployeeTbl ON CountryTbl.CountryID = EmployeeTbl.Country_ID SET EmployeeTbl.Country_ID = DLookup(CountryTbl.CountryID, 'CountryTbl', (CountryTbl.Country)='Italy') WHERE (((EmployeeTbl.EmpID)=1234));"

This code empties the value and does not update the countryID in the EmployeeTbl.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Well just to clarify I removed the joins

Code:
SQL_string = "UPDATE CountryTbl INNER JOIN EmployeeTbl ON CountryTbl.CountryID = EmployeeTbl.Country_ID SET EmployeeTbl.Country_ID = DLookup(CountryTbl.CountryID, 'CountryTbl', (CountryTbl.Country)='Italy') WHERE (((EmployeeTbl.EmpID)=1234));"
This code empties the value and does not update the countryID in the EmployeeTbl.
Again, that SQL statement doesn't look the same as the one I posted. What happened if you just used the one I posted? Something else happens? What?

arnelgp

Local time
SQL_string = "UPDATE EmployeeTbl, CountryTbl SET EmployeeTbl.Country_ID = CountryTbl.CountryID
WHERE EmployeeTbl.EmpID=1234 AND CountryTbl.Country='Italy';"

mikke3141

Local time
You are the best Arnelgp :) Easy solution, but I was just too dumb to see it :banghead:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
You are the best Arnelgp :) Easy solution, but I was just too dumb to see it :banghead:
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom