Database to help me DJ?

Stephenpoole4

Local time
Today, 09:14
Essentially, I'm organizing songs in a few categories. I want to be able to search by song name and/or song key. For instance, if I search for the song "Stranger", I want to display the key for Stranger (which is the key of D) AND all other songs in my database in this key or a compatible one. For example, the song "Bounce Generation" is in the key of A. The key of A is compatible with the key of D. So I want all songs in A and D to be displayed.

Any idea on how to create these tables and their relationships?

My name is Stephen

I'm new to the forum. I think Access is gonna solve a lot of my problem. I withdrew from an Access class while at university. I was attempting to code database material in C++ until someone on a programming forum mentioned SQL, which reminded me of Access. All my needs are personal, not business. Anyway, good to be here.

Re: My name is Stephen

I didn't know that this website was associated with AccessForums.net when I made this post.

I'm guessing this means you're associated with AccessForums.net, where I also posted.
Not sure what you mean by "associated with AccessForums.net". I am just a member of that forum as I am of this one.

Do all keys have a compatible key?

Do any keys have more than one compatible key?

BTW Welcome to the forum :)

:) Yes, all musical keys have 3 other compatible musical keys.

So, essentially, a song in the musical key of D corresponds to multiple songs in D and multiple songs in compatible keys (A, Bm, G). So it has a 1 to many relationship, I guess.

Last edited:

:) Yes, all musical keys have 3 other compatible musical keys.

So, essentially, a song in the musical key of D corresponds to multiple songs in D and multiple songs in compatible keys (A, Bm, G). So it has a 1 to many relationship, I guess.
Can you give us a list of keys and their compatible keys

I'd have thought 2 tables should do it.

Table 1 with your song details: Name, artist, key etc
Table 2 associating the 3 relevant keys together, eg. A, D & E

You can then search by key, and those related keys.

You can obviously expand further with genres etc which you would probably keep in a separate table, and depending on size and usage perhaps artists on their own table with further details about each.

Hope this makes sense

You can obviously expand further with genres etc which you would probably keep in a separate table, and depending on size and usage perhaps artists on their own table with further details about each.

Hope this makes sense
I could be wrong but I think 3 tables will be required.

Table 1 with song titles etc
Table 2 with Keys
Table 3 with fields for Key from Table 2 and a field for a compatible key

Saw the film once, a very sad tale, with a tragic after film real life end too.

Can you give us a list of keys and their compatible keys

Yes,
C is harmonic with F, G, and Am
C#is harmonic with F#, G#, A#/Bbm
D is harmonic with G, A, Bm
D# is harmonic with G#, A#, Cm
E is harmonic with A, B, C#
F is harmonic with A#, C, Dm
G is harmonic with C, D, Em
G# is harmonic with D#, C#, Fm
A is harmonic with D, E, F#m
A# is harmonic with D#, F, G

Then there's a bunch of minor keys too, but I don't want to overwhelm you.

Hope this makes sense

Can you explain this? I want to be able to search and have all relevant results displayed. How can I create relationships with the harmonic keys in the second table?

For instance, the song "Bounce Generation" is in the harmonic key of A. How can I structure the table/relationships so Bounce Generation will be displayed?

tblHarmonics has a primary key of 'Key' this has a one to many relationship with the song key in tblSongs

on a search form you select your key which will return its harmonics you can then query your tblSongs for all songs that are in any of the 3 keys.

let me know if you need more detail

If I have understood your requirement correctly, the attached db may be of interest.

Attachments

FYI, thread moved out of introduction forum. Not sure why the op was flagged as a cross post, since it was just an introduction.

Should I merge the threads?

Should I merge the threads?
IMHO that would probably make things clearer for other viewers but as you're a moderator here I'm happy to leave that decision to you Paul. Besides, I've had a couple of glasses of wine now so my thinking may be a bit clouded right now :D

Threads merged, and the wino moderator is not happy that you're already having wine when I'm about to have breakfast. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom