Days since last entry (1 Viewer)

ejstefl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:13
All,

I have a table that contains balances for certain accounts by date. At certain intervals, a new record is added for each account. I am trying to measure the intervals for each record (basically, the number of days since the last balance).

The data looks like this:

BalanceID AccountID BalanceDate Balance
1 1 10/1/08 100
2 1 9/29/08 150
3 1 9/15/08 100
4 2 10/30/08 500
5 2 10/15/08 600
6 2 10/7/08 500

So what I would like to do is basically write a query that would give me a column that would indicate the number of days since the last time it was balanced, like so:

BalanceID AccountID BalanceDate Balance LastBalanceDate DaysSinceLast
1 1 10/1/08 100 9/29/08 2
2 1 9/29/08 150 9/15/08 14
3 1 9/15/08 100 N/A N/A
4 2 10/30/08 500 10/15/08 15
5 2 10/15/08 600 10/7/08 8
6 2 10/7/08 500 N/A N/A

Thanks!!

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Check out the DateDiff() Function. It might be what you want.

DateDiff("d",LastBalanceDate,Date())

ejstefl

Registered User.
Local time
Check out the DateDiff() Function. It might be what you want.

DateDiff("d",LastBalanceDate,Date())

Thanks for the reply! DateDiff doesn't help me - the problem is that the two dates I want to compare are in different records. Any other ideas?

ejstefl

Registered User.
Local time
What do you mean Different REcords?

If you look at the example data I provided, the first set is what I have to work with. What I want to do is compare the date in BalanceID 1 to the date in BalanceID 2. The second set is what I want the resultant query to look like. Sorry, the tables didn't come out as clear as I would have wanted...

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Tr this query. It is not quite there(no N/a values yet) but see if we are on the right lines
Code:
SELECT Table1.BalanceID, Table1.AccountID, Table1.BalanceDate, Table1.Balance, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.Balancedate            
   FROM Table1 AS Dupe                     
   WHERE Dupe.AccountID = Table1.AccountID
     AND Dupe.BalanceDate < Table1.BalanceDate) AS LastBalance
FROM Table1;

Last edited:

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Tr this query. It is not quite there(no N/a values yet) ut see if we are onthe right lines
Code:
SELECT Table1.BalanceID, Table1.AccountID, Table1.BalanceDate, Table1.Balance, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.Balancedate            
   FROM Table1 AS Dupe                     
   WHERE Dupe.AccountID = Table1.AccountID
     AND Dupe.BalanceDate < Table1.BalanceDate) AS LastBalance
FROM Table1;

Good One Rabbie. This should work for all cases except where there is only one record in the table. A small modification will be required to handle that case.

WayPay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:13
rabbie beat me to it, but here goes:

SELECT
BalanceID,
AccountID,
BalanceDate,
Balance,
Nz(
(SELECT Max(prev_mutation.BalanceDate)
FROM mutation AS prev_mutation
WHERE prev_mutation.BalanceDate < mutation.BalanceDate
AND prev_mutation.AccountID = mutation.AccountID),
"N/A"
) AS PreviousBalanceDate,
Nz(
DateDiff( "d",
(SELECT Max(prev_mutation.BalanceDate)
FROM mutation as prev_mutation
WHERE prev_mutation.BalanceDate < mutation.BalanceDate
AND prev_mutation.AccountID = mutation.AccountID),
mutation.BalanceDate),
"N/A"
) AS DaysSinceLastMutation
FROM mutation
Personally, I'd do without the Nz(blah,"N/A") because it forces the last two columns into string datatype.

And BTW, your data is wrong :) the BalanceID sequence counts back as time progresses. I used this to get the previous mutation (I turned the BalanceIDs around), because comparing on date could go wrong if there are multiple mutations on one account on one day.

Last edited:

ejstefl

Registered User.
Local time
This works on my test dataset, but when i try it on my actual table, I get the very first date the account was balanced for all the records that have that account.

Code:
SELECT dbo_Balances.BalanceID, dbo_Balances.AccountID, dbo_Balances.Balance_Date, dbo_Balances.Difference, (SELECT Top 1 Dupe.Balance_Date FROM dbo_Balances AS Dupe WHERE Dupe.AccountID = dbo_Balances.AccountID AND Dupe.Balance_Date < dbo_Balances.Balance_Date) AS LastBalance
FROM dbo_Balances
WHERE (((dbo_Balances.Balance_Date)>#6/1/2008#));

Here is what I came up with, which looks like it works. Any idea for optimization?

Code:
SELECT dbo_Balances.BalanceID, dbo_Balances.AccountID, dbo_Balances.Balance_Date, dbo_Balances.Difference, dbo_Balances.SEI_Shares_0300, dbo_Balances.SEI_Shares_0400, Max(tblComp.Balance_Date) AS LastBalanceDate, dbo_Balances.Balance_Date-Max(tblComp.Balance_Date) AS DaysSinceLastBalance 
FROM dbo_Balances LEFT JOIN dbo_Balances AS tblComp ON (dbo_Balances.Balance_Date>tblComp.Balance_Date) AND (dbo_Balances.AccountID=tblComp.AccountID)
GROUP BY dbo_Balances.BalanceID, dbo_Balances.AccountID, dbo_Balances.Balance_Date, dbo_Balances.Difference, dbo_Balances.SEI_Shares_0300, dbo_Balances.SEI_Shares_0400
HAVING dbo_Balances.Balance_Date>=#6/1/2008#;

ejstefl

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the replies, guys! I think I've got it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom