deleting records (1 Viewer)

irade92

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:42
Hi
I have deleted some data from my database. it was about 350 mb. After deleting I did Compact & repair so deleting to take effect. But instead of lowering it has grown up to 530 mb..What went wrong? Any suggestions?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:42
???Strange - haven't heard of size increasing after C&R
Are you sure the records were physically deleted?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:42
After deleting I did Compact & repair so deleting to take effect
That is not how Access works. You might reduce the file size by performing c&r after deleting records, but once you delete, they are gone unless you have provided a means of recovery (such as a transaction, and that would only be possible within a code procedure). There is no such thing as deleting a record or object and then closing a db without saving like there is with Word or Excel.

Regardless, I have never heard of a c&r operation making a file larger than it was before - especially by as much as you've posted. Are you sure that you're reading the file size in Windows Explorer correctly? You ought to back up a db before performing this operation lest something goes wrong. I think I would open a new db and import everything into it just in case the file in question is corrupted now.

irade92

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:42
???Strange - haven't heard of size increasing after C&R
Are you sure the records were physically deleted?
I can show you wit some photos..if you like..it happens with at least two databases..this is the first time I experience it..I did it before but never happend as it did now..

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:42
Do you have OLE objects embedded in the DB such that possibly two or more records point to the same object?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:42
That kills the only idea I had on the subject. I once worked on a project with another type of database where embedded or attached objects with common pointers would be DUPLICATED during a copy operation that was being used to do the equivalent of a Compact & Repair, but that product is out of business now and its engineers have moved on to other product lines. And I don't think Access does that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom