Solved Different report formats appear for the same database on different PCs (2 Viewers)

Ahmeed696

Local time
Today, 15:48
I need help about some settings in access reports.
I have a report with a subreport at the bottom that contains records in multilines. I wanted to make the textbox shrink if the content is short. So I set "can shrink" value as "yes". And it worked correctly. However the same report on another pc looks more taller without shrinking. You can see the difference from the attachments sent here. I guess that this could be some settings about windows itself for the other pc. What could be the problem?

Attachments

• IMG-20240626-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240626-WA0001.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20240626-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240626-WA0000.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 29

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:48
At first glance, the JPG ending with WA0001 appears to be normalized while the the JPG ending with WA0000 appears to be maximized. This might be an Access setting. If you open a DB, by default you go to "Home" tab. However, there is a File tab that contains a link to "Options" and if you click that, you get a complex screen of options. You would have to check the options under the General, Current Database, and a few other headings. Also, if under your General setting you have options regarding Windows Themes, be sure that both systems have the same settings.

I agree this is probably a difference in system settings. Therefore, I would also look at your display settings to verify that both are set for the same resolution, since apparent height CAN depend on dots per inch as set by screen resolution settings.

Ahmeed696

Local time
At first glance, the JPG ending with WA0001 appears to be normalized while the the JPG ending with WA0000 appears to be maximized. This might be an Access setting. If you open a DB, by default you go to "Home" tab. However, there is a File tab that contains a link to "Options" and if you click that, you get a complex screen of options. You would have to check the options under the General, Current Database, and a few other headings. Also, if under your General setting you have options regarding Windows Themes, be sure that both systems have the same settings.

I agree this is probably a difference in system settings. Therefore, I would also look at your display settings to verify that both are set for the same resolution, since apparent height CAN depend on dots per inch as set by screen resolution settings.
Thanks for your reply. I would try comparing options settings for both PCs and see if there is any difference. By the way, their resolutions are different. I made them similar but it didn't work. Maybe resolution and another setting should be edited together.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:48
Reports are usually designed based on the installed printer driver on the machine. You might check the other computer to see if they don't have the same printer installed on your computer. Just a thought...

Ahmeed696

Local time
Reports are usually designed based on the installed printer driver on the machine. You might check the other computer to see if they don't have the same printer installed on your computer. Just a thought...
Thanks a lot for your information. Actually all PCs are using the same printer. But maybe some of their settings are different. I will check that tomorrow in the office.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good call, theDBguy - that had slipped my mind. But if it is a networked shared printer, they SHOULD see the same properties.

Ahmeed696

Local time
Good call, theDBguy - that had slipped my mind. But if it is a networked shared printer, they SHOULD see the same properties.
Yes, this is a networked shared printer. By the way the difference comes on print preview before applying printing or choosing a printer. I guess that the problem is not in the printer itself but in general printing settings

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
By the way the difference comes on print preview before applying printing or choosing a printer.

In Print Preview mode, the Access report rendering code has already determined the properties of the system default printer. It renders the page breaks and other factors based on those settings. We have seen cases in the past on this forum where, if you don't even HAVE a default printer, you can't go into Print Preview mode. You can still go into Report View mode in that case, because there it uses the Screen properties, not the default printer properties.

Ahmeed696

Local time
In Print Preview mode, the Access report rendering code has already determined the properties of the system default printer. It renders the page breaks and other factors based on those settings. We have seen cases in the past on this forum where, if you don't even HAVE a default printer, you can't go into Print Preview mode. You can still go into Report View mode in that case, because there it uses the Screen properties, not the default printer properties.
So if default printer is the same for all PCs connected by a local network, where could that difference that changes formats be ? Could it be in setup options on each pc for that shared printer?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I guess the next question is, does the same report print the same way from machines where that display appears different? Or does it take a different number of pages to print on the two machines? Trying to isolate the next place to look and at that moment, I'm drawing blanks. But it is theoretically possible that you have different settings for the default printer on different machines if they were not defined in the same method. But then again, there might be another difference to consider...

On closer visual review, the WA0001 report contains something after the bottom three-line grid (which I hope is the sub-report you mentioned?) The WA0000 report contains something different in that location. The 0001 report has three things printed, possibly in three columns, whereas the 0000 report has only one thing printed in the right-most column. Since it is in Arabic AND is an image, I can't translate it or Google-translate it - but the reports APPEAR to have different content. Which means that your difference MIGHT be due to the combination of a "keep together" plus something different about the data in whatever is the next section to be printed.

Since those purportedly came from different PCs, the question is whether the reports in question would have been identical for two different users - because I suddenly don't think they are identical reports.

Ahmeed696

Local time
I need help about some settings in access reports.
I have a report with a subreport at the bottom that contains records in multilines. I wanted to make the textbox shrink if the content is short. So I set "can shrink" value as "yes". And it worked correctly. However the same report on another pc looks more taller without shrinking. You can see the difference from the attachments sent here. I guess that this could be some settings about windows itself for the other pc. What could be the problem?
Thank you all for your variable information. I managed to figure out the problem. The last field down on the left that has the dates. This field looks quite narrow. Its wideness looks fine for some machines. While on other machines this wideness seems to be tight that is why a new line is added. I made that field wider as possible so that no new line could be added. It's fine now 👍👍

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:48
While on other machines this wideness seems to be tight
I had a similar problem when printing to pdf - on the screen the text was fine but printing to pdf the last character was missing. Widening the control a touch solved the issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom