Distributing an Access Database (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 02:21
I have a fairly simple database I've built for a client in another state. The user does not have Access on his machine. I was under the impression that all I had to do was to send him a copy of the Access runtime file and the actual .mdb and that was all we need. He would save the runtime file to his c: drive along with the .mdb. Then the shortcut to his database would be something like:

c:\myFolder\msaccess.exe c:\myFolder\myAccessDB.mdb

Is it this simple or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ken

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
Hi ken,

What version of access are you working with?

Garry

KenHigg

Local time

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 23:21
Ken:

If you are going to use the Access runtime, you need to use the Packaging and Deployment wizard (or another installation package) to create an install file that they can install the runtime. The runtime is really basically an Access installation that doesn't have design capabilities.

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Ken,

Do you have a copy of the Developers Extensions, to legitimately distribute Access runtime licences you will need this. If you have it they will do all the work and package you database ready to be deployed

Garry

KenHigg

Local time
No I don't have the Developers Extensions. And I'd like to stay away from wizards if I could and just get down to the nuts and bolts of what's going on. I been reading in some other forums of distributing/pakaging nightmares... :)

ken

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 23:21
You might check to see if the Access 2007 runtime can work with 2003 databases. I haven't tried it at all, but it might - but read the licensing too as I don't know if you can legally do that, or not. Jeff Conrad, or another MVP, may be able to shed some light on that. Otherwise the only option is to have your customer get a full version of Access.

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
Ken

For your client to run your application they will need Access either a full blown copy or runtime. To distribute Access runtime you will need the Developer Extension for licensing reasons. Once you have these you will need to package your application this will require either the wizard that comes with the extensions or some other product such as sage key. I the client have no other version of access running you shouldn’t hit any problems with the deployment. If you convert you application to Access 2007 you can distribute the runtime version for free.

Garry

Pleasure

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:21
Access 2007 Runtime CAN WORK with Access 2003 Databases ...

Perfectly (except all the stuff that aren't working in 2007 edition like background image etc, even if the format of the database is 2003)

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pleasuere,

Is it legal to distribute it though?

Garry

KenHigg

Local time
Hum...

I have VS 2005 Team and don't see anything about Access Dev Ext in the set up...

Zigzag

Registered User.
Local time
If you have Visual Studio 2005 then one of the disc will be the Developer Extensions, so no problems there. Install the disc, run the wizard, deploy your appliction.
The package wizard takes a few goes before you get the desired results.

Garry

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom