Distributing DBs

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:54
A few people have asked about how to distribute their DBs over time on this forum.
A few professional packages always get mentioned.

Someone on another forum mentioned something called iExpress, which is built into Windows?
I have not used it and only went a few screens in, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Credit goes to HannsV as you can see. https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=293647#p293647

new one on me - found out a bit more about it here

although googling 'iexpress' brings up a number of links.

I used iExpress several years ago but found it very limited. The article in the link gives some of its drawbacks
If you are going to distribute files on a regular basis, I would recommend using a professional installer such as Inno Setup, SSE Setup or Visual Installer Professional (my own installer of choice)

I am on a low budget i.e. no money and have created a DB that might market in a niche market so there is virtually no way I can afford a license for SSE even though it is very affordable.

Is there any free packagers that I could try?

Look on it as an investment.

Inno Setup is free but is script based only. SSE Setup is free for private use but has no scripting.
Visual Installer Pro is a commercial app with a visual interface and scripting features.

Each is good but in different ways.

Look on it as an investment.
I understand . . .
Retired on fixed income - no real expectation of making money (one expects a return on investments) because I have no real idea how to market it.

More than willing to invest if it sells.

What is the lease $$ option - SSE $200 is out of reach.
Inno Setup is free but is script based only. SSE Setup is free for private use but has no scripting.
Visual Installer Pro is a commercial app with a visual interface and scripting features.

Thanks!!!!

In order to get sales, you will need to market it. How else will anyone hear about it? Can I ask what the niche market is.

It is a King James Version Bible search tool.

OK I agree it’s a niche product. So you need to know your potential audience and how to reach them. Using an installer will make the experience more positive for those who purchase it and so they will be more likely to recommend it to others

Look at the link in post #2 then.

I am looking at Inno Setup examples and have one question. How do I dealing access runtime.
SSE checks for the existence of MS Access and only installs the runtime if MS Access is not installed.

Sorry - I can't help with detailed questions for either Inno or SSE as I haven't used either for several years.
Once I found my preferred installer, I haven't looked back

I have been using this for years. It costs $130. They have a free trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom