Dlookup Speed (1 Viewer)

jaydwest

JayW
Local time
Today, 01:49
I was brought up to believe in Santa Claus and that DLookups were slow. I browsed last night and found many threads mentioning speed issues with DLookups.

My latest project consists of upgrading a database written at a Client Site that is chock full of (you guessed it) DLookups. My normal inclination was to replace them with parameter queries. But before I did, I ran some benchmarks of DLookup vs Parameter Query speed. In all cases (table1 = 11 records, table2 = 1,143 records) the DLookup was faster.

My test was to lookup a field based on the recordset's primary key. In table2 I tested a record mid way down and the last record. DLookup is the winner hands down.

Should I also stop believing in Santa Claus. Too bad because I have a new notebook on my wish list.

Thanks for your wisdon.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:49
It depends where you deploy domain functions how they impact on speed. In my experience, they work well on forms but when you embed them in complex queries there is a big performance hit.

Having said that, you don't exactly have a large dataset, so I wouldn't have thought that performance would be an issue.

If you stop believing in Santa Claus, your nose will drop off and all your Access tables will corrupt.

Merry Christmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom