DLookup without the initial characters (1 Viewer)

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:11
Hiya. I run duplicate check on a form to make sure the file name doesn't match one that's previously been entered. Currently I have:

If Me.NewRecord Then
If Not IsNull(DLookup("File", "tblFileProcessing", "[File]=""" _
& Me![File] & """" & " and [FileClientID] = " & Me![FileClientID])) Then
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmDuplicateFiles", acNormal, , , , acDialog
End If
End If

However we've recently changed the way we work and have now added a unique ID number prefixed to the file name: 567_File_Name_1 How do I run the DLook up but parse off the digits prior to the first underscore and only check on the remainder of the file name?

Any help gratefully received.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 12:11
Why are you not using Two separate Fields.

Also you could Index that field so that it can never be duplicated.

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
The job number is part of the name of a file so can't be split into two different fields.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 12:11
There is a simple way to join them back again.

MyJoin =(Field1 and Field2)

You can displayed them joined and no one will know. This allows you to sort on either Field.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since you are looking at the table, not the actual file I'm not sure which 'file' you want to strip off the initial numbers, but the basis would be

mid(file,instr(file,"_")+1)

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
That's great, I'll give it a try. The file is an externally created document that is prenamed at source that we log in our database and we need to remove the ID number from the document name purely so we can do a dlookup to check that the document hasn't already been send to us, with a different job Id and already logged in the system, which can happen and results in the document being processed twice which is what we're trying to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom