Do you have an "authentic" sixth sense??? (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:04
I look for this "Authenticity" in the people creating posts, videos and blogs.

Once I discover such people, I follow them. I thought I found more authenticity in republicans than democrats.

But then I thought, no there's something wrong with that thought, Trump used to be democrat, Elon Musk used to be democrat. I'm not sure but I think Candace Owen used to be a democrat as well.

I realised there's nothing wrong with democrats, there's something wrong with just some of them though! And there are some republicans that could be painted with the same brush.

Personally, I find it difficult to place myself in the political spectrum I feel I am conservative, that's British for republican because of my family background. However I am opposed to the class system injustice, which puts me in the Labour camp, British for liberal.

I feel sort of halfway between, and sometimes I think I am a fence sitter ...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:04
Many labels misrepresent you because they can be a generalisation. Take myself for example. I am a Conservative, but was with the liberals on the Covid lockdowns. If you sign up for a particular ideology, it doesn't mean you have to agree with all of it, else you end up imprisoned by your own mind. This is discussed in the following excellent book:

How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: a Handbook for Personal Liberty

The Table of Contents gives a good idea of the topics covered and the thinking traps you can fall into.

I've not watched the video but it gives a book summary and so I've included it for convenience.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:04
I remember reading this book when I was in my 20's when it was first published. On reflection, I think my life was happier because of it and I did things that I might not otherwise have had the courage to do like taking a job in a developing country I knew very little about. It certainly was not something that was on my bucket list. An opportunity came up and I convinced my husband to let us take advantage of it. I've never had a relationship where I worried about trying to change someone else. I accept people for what/who they are and if I find them troubling in some important area, I move on as gently as possible. You just have to decide what your boundaries are. The book gave me the courage to have boundaries and enforce them. The concept of boxes even impacted my work environment. I figured out early on that I had no desire to become the resident expert in "payroll" or whatever. I much preferred the challenge of learning new business functions and new industries and that is what led me very early on to become a consultant. As a consultant, I was pretty much assured of getting to do the "good" stuff because I wasn't needed to handle the midnight phone calls when the check run failed. Others find comfort in consistency and being the respected expert. I prefer the adventure of change and learning. Nearly every day I am reminded of how much more I have to learn than what I already know (frequently by the people here). I don't think I'll ever catch up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom