Double booking preventation (1 Viewer)

ICTkirsten

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:13
Hello :)

I am stressing out over trying to prevent doublebookings on my database which ive spent 2 days trying to figure out :(

so what ive tried to do is : use queries that will take one away from the other so that when i go onto my form which creates appointments it will do this:

Select Dentist ( via userID) and select the date after this the time field which is a combo box will only display the times that are available and will remove the times take.

Its been a really hard task for me and i am left with lots of queries due to trial and error but ive decided to turn for help as it is taking far too long that it should be :(

i have attached my queries to show what i have attempted. i would be greatful for any help :)

thank you

Attachments

• query1.png
    query1.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 77
  • query2.png
    query2.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 65
  • query3.png
    query3.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 78
  • query4.png
    query4.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 55
  • query5.png
    query5.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 59

ICTkirsten

Registered User.
Local time
final print shot which shows the time combo box record source

Attachments

• query6.png
    query6.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 80

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 03:13
I think instead of showing a bundle of queries, it would be much better to show some sample data and also the result you want, then we maybe could give solution to a query!
Remember we do not know how your data in the tables looks like, so how should we be able to determine if your queries is okay.

ICTkirsten

Registered User.
Local time
Hiya,

I just want to be able to have a form that creates an appointment and when choosing the time it will only display times available for the dentist for a particular date. so in other word the times that are not available will be removed from the list of times ( displayed as combo box)... which is meant to be done by doing 1 query minus the other...

I Dont knw how to show sections of my db? im also worried with putting it up as it is for a school project that im not allowed to post up

E.Rowlands

Local time
I'm a relative beginner in Access and studying an A level course like yourself. To solve the double bookings problem on my Hair Salon database (tutor defined the project, not me), I simply created what I understand to be a composite key and added to a new index in my appointments table the:

StylistID
AppointmentDate
AppointmentTine

Sure it isn't a fancy combo box that excludes booked appointments but It has worked rather well. To get past the awful Access error messages about a duplication in the index, IE, when a stylist has an appointment on the same date and time, I've added an error handling macro to display a message box that informs user of duplication. I have concluded that this is the only likely error to occur in my simple database appointments booking function so I am confident that this will not show on other errors (99% sure, after lots of testing)

E.Rowlands

Local time
ICTKirsten watch this simple tutorial on YouTube on how to create a composite key/unique index for the prevention of double bookings.

I personally didn't add the fields to my primary key index but made one called NoDuplicates.

youtube.com/watch?v=uKwLIvV_S9Q[/url] - Please copy and paste into browser, I am not a high enough forum level to post links. Sorry mods for breaking this rule.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 03:13
I just want to be able to have a form that creates an appointment and when choosing the time it will only display times available for the dentist for a particular date. so in other word the times that are not available will be removed from the list of times ( displayed as combo box)... which is meant to be done by doing 1 query minus the other...
I've done a small example in the attached database how I would do it, maybe you could get some ideas from that.

Attachments

• Appointment.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Appo.jpg
    Appo.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 144

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom