DVDs Dead? (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:36
Netflix exiting disc-mailing business after 25 years
Time and technology marches on. I was surprised that Netflix was still offering DVDs by mail. Blockbuster closed in 2014. Rebox is still in business. Rumors are that Redbox may try to acquire Netflix's DVD business.

Over the years, we had acquired a substantial DVD library. The Netflix article made me realize that it has been years since we actually watched a film on DVD. About a year ago we upgraded our home entertainment system and discovered that our DVD player no-longer worked. We bought a new on, just in case we actually do want to watch a movie from DVD.

When was the last time you used your DVD player to watch a movie?
Do you even have a stand-alone DVD player for the TV?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:36
I have a multi-mode player that takes anything from music CD to 4K movie disks.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:36
I still use video tape on my tape player, in fact I watched a film the other day on tape.

Yes, I also have a dvd player connected to the TV, but I don't have many dvd films, mine are mostly video tape. No point in buying them again.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Actually, on my TV remote control, there is a button that says 'netflix', I've never touched it as I'm not 100% sure what netfix is. I may end up buying something by accident. I've only recently worked out how to use different settings on the microwave oven, it's very clever.
Col

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:36
I still use video tape on my tape player, in fact I watched a film the other day on tape.

Yes, I also have a dvd player connected to the TV, but I don't have many dvd films, mine are mostly video tape. No point in buying them again.

Col
Surprising that the video tapes still work. We had some home movies on video tape. Went to convert them to digital, some worked other didn't. The expiration date for video tape is approaching.

Actually, on my TV remote control, there is a button that says 'netflix', I've never touched it as I'm not 100% sure what netfix is. I may end up buying something by accident. I've only recently worked out how to use different settings on the microwave oven, it's very clever.
Col
Netflix is a video streaming service. Has a lot of content. They have gone down the path of wokeness (but then so has Hulu and Amazon).

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Netflix exiting disc-mailing business after 25 years
Time and technology marches on. I was surprised that Netflix was still offering DVDs by mail. Blockbuster closed in 2014. Rebox is still in business. Rumors are that Redbox may try to acquire Netflix's DVD business.

Over the years, we had acquired a substantial DVD library. The Netflix article made me realize that it has been years since we actually watched a film on DVD. About a year ago we upgraded our home entertainment system and discovered that our DVD player no-longer worked. We bought a new on, just in case we actually do want to watch a movie from DVD.

Yesterday. We watched the DVD i gave hubby for Easter. I'm always getting DVDs from the library. Our private collection is huge.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I didn't realise video tape had a use by date. All ours work fine on our Panasonic video player from the 1990's.

I'm sure you've guessed that our house is a time warp, mainly from the 1970's and 80's. But I'm led to believe that retro is back in fashion. We have a jukebox from the late 1980's that holds 100 CD's, its called an NSM Silver City.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I didn't realise video tape had a use by date. All ours work fine on our Panasonic video player from the 1990's.

I'm sure you've guessed that our house is a time warp, mainly from the 1970's and 80's. But I'm led to believe that retro is back in fashion. We have a jukebox from the late 1980's that holds 100 CD's, its called an NSM Silver City.
Col

Actually, Col, you can use video tape cartridges not quite forever, but indefinitely. They wear out since they work by having a magnetic "reader" head rubbing against a specially coated surface. As they age, they lose resolution due to physical wear. CDs and DVDs last longer, but my wife's exercise videos still work from the 70's. I suppose it is theoretically possible to have a tape that would have an encoded "drop dead" date on them, but if they are still working after that many years, I think it is safe to say they will work until they wear out.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Back to dvd’s - I watched one the other day. The problem with streaming services is that availability of films is time limited although I accept often available on a different service. Like Steve I have an extensive library but rarely use it since it is no longer ‘current’ and there is so much new stuff to watch- some good, some awful.

conception_native_0123

Local time
today and yes. I have a collection of about 200 DVDs that I have purchased over the years. I've got entertainment for a lifetime. as long as outlets in homes exist, my DVD player will still work. I look forward to the day that it is over. I wonder when that'll be.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I can also play DVD's (films) on my PlayStation 3. The only DVD game I play on it is 'Grand Theft Auto 5', I don't own any other games.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The only DVD game I play on it is 'Grand Theft Auto 5', I don't own any other games.

If THAT is where you are getting your ideas about the USA, you need to broaden your horizons. But it explains a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom