Enough is Enough (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:51
So ... the antogonists are rewarded and regarded with respect and showered with pity, while the victims (albeit also antagonistic in response -- or is that defense???) live in exile, regarded as weak? .... interesting.

It is hardly exile when everyone has posted their desire for the "victim" to return. Isn't exile where you aren't allowed to return?

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Today, 12:51
I strongly agree that closing the w/c is the only thing that will help return a positive tone to the forum. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:51
I strongly agree that closing the w/c is the only thing that will help return a positive tone to the forum. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.

I think we should forget the trigger-happy delete approach and commend Mile-O for his skilled diplomacy. I think he has set a pretty clear path for how best to move on from here.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Things got rough in here after the Iraq War commenced. My vote: keep the Watercooler.

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:51
Hello Mile-O ..

>> No one is being rewarded. Fact of the matter is that the accounts should never have been deleted in the first place. <<

I do agree that accounts should not be deleted with out the account owners permission .. even if the user is banned.

I also fully respect your thoughts on a "self moderated" site ... I do not like "rules", I much prefer guidlines and mature "direction" if needed. But I think we (the site) need folks like you to have the ability to perform unpleasant actions ... reprimands, bans, etc. in order to ensure a high quality site that can be enjoyed.

Ok .. so .. the reason I threw my comment out there is that it seems ( .. of course realizing my perception is my reality :) ... ) that Rich (nor Mike) acknowledge the fact that their actions were uncalled for, and the welcome back with out a consequence, or acknowledgement, of their behavior is, to me, a reward. I will grant that I am unaware of any PM's you (or other admins) may have shared with the two in question, so again, my perception is my reality.

Also, sticking with my viewpoint that I have expressed on other threads, I support any action you, as an administrator of this site, have taken, I may not agree with it, and will express my thoughts of disagreement, but I trust you are acting the way you see fit, while considering the opinions of others, that is in the best interest of this site.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
It's great to see the Mods are helping us out with this crisis and I'm very impressed by the skill of their diplomacy. It is a shame that Bob has retreated and I hope he will return soon.

Pat, Mile-o, thanks for your effort I hope it will be successful in keeping peace around here. I know how easy it is to get carried away with the flow and hope I will have the good sense in future to back off as soon as I see any waves getting too high.

This is a fantastic site and we, the users, need to work hard to keep it that way. As numbers grow it is only natural that personalities will clash, but, as someone pointed out, we don't know each other so why get upset that the person on the other end of the line doesn't agree with you? What do they matter in your life?

Welcome back Rich, shame you lost almost 20k of posts, but welcome back anyway.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
It's great to see the Mods are helping us out with this crisis and I'm very impressed by the skill of their diplomacy. It is a shame that Bob has retreated and I hope he will return soon.

<snip>
Welcome back Rich, shame you lost almost 20k of posts, but welcome back anyway.
I think we should join in sending Bob our best wishes for a speedy recovery. It seems clear that he suffered from some sort of stress related trauma which lead him to act out of character. I know from past experience how when things get on top of you it only needs one relatively harmless remark to push you over the edge and over-react.

I think Mile-O has acted with great skill and diplomacy to resolve this but I would expect nothing else from a Scot:D

And finally its nice to see Rich has returned from his temporary life as puzzled. I was quite pleased that I managed to penetrate his disguise relatively quickly. That unique style is hard to hide.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I think we should join in sending Bob our best wishes for a speedy recovery. It seems clear that he suffered from some sort of stress related trauma which lead him to act out of character. I know from past experience how when things get on top of you it only needs one relatively harmless remark to push you over the edge and over-react.

I think Mile-O has acted with great skill and diplomacy to resolve this but I would expect nothing else from a Scot:D

I'll second you on both accounts.

It might be worth considering before we post that, while we might think our post is humourous, the person the humour is aimed at may be going through other stress that we are not privvy to. I can only apologise on my own behalf if my (albeit a bit more mild) warped sense of humour has caused anyone any stress.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 21:51
Go to your corners and take your spots on the time-out chairs and hold your breath for 60 seconds.

I have done that several times in the last weeks and have come to the conclusion that the watercooler must stay, since it has an important function socialwise. I agree with Pat and Mile that the tone in that cooler has degenerated to a doubtfull level, but I'm convinced that this post will contribute to a more positive approach of all junior/senio levels .

We are very lucky to have attracted a number of Access MVPs (you can thank me for that since I was the one who brought this forum to the attention of Microsoft) as well as other knowledgable people who make substantial contributions.

I fully agree with you there Pat. This is one of the best forums I ever came across and can only thank you and others for their great professiolanism with which appropriate answers were given to the huge amount of questions that are posted every day. The other day Jon indicated that there is a rather large crowd of new people on this forum, which IMHO indicates that the techie threads are being handled in that professional manner.

I'm not an expert in Access, but trying to contribute with my limited knowledge , just like Minkey and MANY others are doing and in doing so, learned an awfull lot throughout the last years. ( I think I even understand what 4NF stands for !).

So, just to "elever le moral", I like to thank all the profesionals out there for keeping this forum in good shape and simply neglect those posts I do not agree with, without going into unneeded discussions.

Just my 2 Ffr.

Cheers, Ron

statsman

Local time
Today, 15:51
But where would you post?:p

Access matters would be posted in the Access sections.

Opinions on the human condition and the world in general we can keep to ourselves until everyone's Valium kicks in.

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
As lovely as this site is in humor and getting Access help, I can't believe people actually have time to fight :eek:
Some people's life must be uneventful :D

love u guys regardless, the haters and lovers

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 14:51

I agree with you there. I was pretty peeved yesterday about what happened, but at the same time I was puzzled by the behavior of Bob who otherwise has been a fantastic admin. It seemed out of character for him. But I'm the first one to admit that certain posters (ahem) can get under your skin pretty quickly if you let them. ;)

In fact, if Bob were to come back and admit his mistakes I would welcome him back wholeheartedly. Of course, I think now he has given up his admin rights to the forum, but he has a wealth of Access knowledge and will definitely be missed.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time

I think that what would be more likely to return a positive tone to the forum, rather than closing the water cooler, would be to disable the ability for people to anonymously leave baseless and nasty comments on people's reputations.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
If you're implying that I have done such a thing to you then you're mistaken. I don't believe I have ever contributed to your reputation.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I am sure that if you consider a post to be inappropriate for the thread that it is in then you should just use the ! icon to bring it to the attention of the mods. They can then take appropriate action.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
If you're implying that I have done such a thing to you then you're mistaken. I don't believe I have ever contributed to your reputation.

Craig, I absolutely do not think it was you - I am sorry if my post implied that. I only replied to your message because it was on the subject of how to make the forum more positive. I have no idea who is doing it, because whoever it is is too cowardly to criticize me in public.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I am sure that if you consider a post to be inappropriate for the thread that it is in then you should just use the ! icon to bring it to the attention of the mods. They can then take appropriate action.

Unfortunately there is no way to do that with what people write in your reputation, at least not that I can see.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Wow Craig how could you read that into Alisa's comment. We are all getting a little tetchy aren't we.

I think it may be better to keep out of the non techie threads for a while.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom