Expand "name" text area under shortcut icon (1 Viewer)

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:03
Is it possible to expand the area under a shorcut icon so that longer names are visible? For example, I have a shorcut where I want the name to show up as "FPMDataEntry_V7". But all that shows up on the desktop (until you actually click the icon) is "FPMDataEn.."

Thanks!

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 05:03
Sort of, but it is a PER COMPUTER WINDOWS SETTING. You can go to the Display Settings > Appearance tab and then select the custom or advanced (depending on your Windows version) and then you select the Icon Horizontal Spacing and the Icon Vertical Spacing - like this:

Attachments

• iconspacing.png
    iconspacing.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 619

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
I tried this but no change. My theory is that this just tells windows how to space out the icons when you select auto-arrange. That's not my issue. My issue is that the names under my icons get truncated. See attached picture of my desktop.

Attachments

• IconProblem.bmp
    29.3 KB · Views: 228

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:03
I don't believe there is a way to stop this. I tried googling a few different terms because I was also curious but couldn't come up with anything except a few other people asking the same thing with no solution.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Did you reboot after making the changes? I just wonder if that was necessary for the changes to show up.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
OK, I take it back. If you change the horizontal Icon spacing, the room for the name DOES change. But you have to, apparently, uncheck and then re-check "align to grid" to get it to take effect. Thanks!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:03
DataMiner was correct. Icon spacing only determines how far apart the icons are during auto-arranging. It doesn't change the truncating of filenames.

Edit: Ha! So it does, interesting...

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
OH, but I've discovered that it does. See my previous post.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
I knew I had done it before. I just hadn't quite remembered the entire process. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom