expression in default value (1 Viewer)

alexlds

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:57
Hi Everyone

Is it possible to use something like this in the default value for a field [rank] in a table

= if([firstname] ="john", 8,9)

ie when [firstname] for a new record is entered as john, the default field value for [rank] in the new record is set to 8 otherwise it is 9.

Cant seem to get it to work - do I need to be using iif - or - me.[firstname] or me![firstname]

Im hoping it is just a syntax problem . . . .

AliyuKatsina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:57
Hi Alexlds,
Normally you don't input data directly to a table. You do that through a user form.
You should create a form to input data to your table,then create a textbox control to input firstname. create an afterupdate proceedure for the control to check if the entered name is 'John' then make the rank field '8' otherwise '9'.
Try it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
You could do this in the default property of a control on a form but the default values and validation rules are severely limited in tables. Table level stuff is handled by Jet/ACE rather than Access/VBA. That means that you can only use functions that are supported by SQL. You cannot use VBA "IIf()" or user defined "MyFunc()" functions.

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:57
Hi -

You need to be using an immediate if (iif). Here's an example from the debug (immediate) window:

Code:
x = "john"
? iif(x ="john", 8,9)
x = "joe"
? iif(x ="john", 8,9)

HTH - Bob

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
Bob, Did you test this as the default value of a column in a table? I don't beleive it will work there. You can't reference other columns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom