Field Order Changes (1 Viewer)

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Today, 01:33
I'm using Access 2003 and a week ago I ran into a very strange problem with one of my tables. The table has 15 fields named Field1, Field2, Field3,....Field15. The weird thing that is happening is if I open the table in design view it will list the fields in order (Field1, Field2, Field3....Field15), but when I open the table in datasheet view Field10 and Field11 get flipped (.....Field8, Field9, Field11, Field10, Field12....). Has anyone every seen this before? I'm guessing it somehow got corrupted. It wouldn't be a real big deal for me to just delete the table and create a new one, but if there is a fix to it then I was wondering if someone could share that with me. Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you allow users to open tables directly, someone may have opened the table and deliberately or accidentally swapped the columns and when they closed the table Access asked if they wanted to save and they said yes. You can do the same thing and swap them back if you want but the field order shouldn't affect anything.

Sometimes if you want to sort on multiple fields, the easiest solution is to rearrange the columns so you can get the fields in a group in the correct hierarchial order. As you can see, this doesn't alter the table structure. Remember, when you open a table in datasheet view, you are not actually looking at the table, you are looking at a query that Access created for you.

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Thanks Pat. I was able to get it back to normal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom