Form Save Failure (1 Viewer)

tranchemontaigne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:12
ENVIRONMENT
I have a form created with MS Access 2K that is now being used from MS Access 2010.

File is stored on a network share and opened on client computers.

BEHAVIOR
One of the text box controls on one form just started showing 'name?' as the displayed value instead of a street address (concatenated from street address, town, and postal code fields stored in the bound table under the form).

INITIAL TROUBLESHOOTING
You can copy the misbehaving control, delete the original, and move the copied text box object into the place of the original text box and click save.

After the above operation you will see the text box display the expected address for every record.

You can exit from the form and reopen it and it continues to display the expected address.

PROBLEM
Exit from the MDB file though, and you will find that the text box control reverts back to the original behavior of displaying 'name?'

Problem can be duplicated from more than one computer.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this problem? I'm confused by it :confused:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:12
It could be a corrupted form or database. I would initially do a compact and repair, if you haven't already. If that doesn't help I would be tempted to import all the objects into a new blank database, that will normally clear up most corruption issues.

Finally is more than one user opening the mdb, it would be better for them to have a local copy with the data in a split FE/BE set up. Opening a front end database over the network is prone to causing issues, as is having multiple users in a single database.

tranchemontaigne

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:12
Minty,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already run a compact/repair on the file, but could not figure out how to do a MS Access repair/restore shortcuts like you used to be able to do from the MS Access 2K help menu bar drop down list. (I thought of this in the event that one of the client computers might be corrupting the file upon access.)

Database is already split, but the existing deployment has both the FE and BE shared. I'll see if copying the FE to a local PC makes a difference. and let you know.

Creating a blank MDB and importing all objects sounds like the lowest hanging fruit so I'll try that before anything else.

Regards,

Thanchemontaigne

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:12
Also recommend you distribute the front end as a .mde so users cannot get into the form design.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:12
Having multiple users sharing a single Front End, on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior!

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past ten years have seen literally dozens and dozens of reports of split databases, using links to a single Front End, causing these kinds of problems, as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that this kind of setup can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

You've really got to place a copy of the Front End on ever user's machine.

Linq ;0)>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom