Formula needed to calculate due date of books. (1 Viewer)

MattyJacks

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:14
I have a problem. Where in a library style database the book is loaned out on a certain date (loanDate), e.g. 15/3/11. I then need the query to automatically calculate the due date of the book in the form in the next field (returnDate).

E.g. book loaned out on 15/3/11 + 14 days = dueDate on 29/3/11. But hthis needs to be automatically calculated. Can anyone help me?

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:14
Use the DateAdd function.

In a Query:
Books Due: DateAdd("d", 14, [loaddate])

Controlsource of an unbound control on a form

=Dateadd("d", 14, [loandate])

JR

Edit: added information

Last edited:

MattyJacks

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks!! This calculates a due date but sometimes it calculates it -6 days and some other times it calculates it +14 days. Why is it doing this?? I am a bit confused..

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
That's not possible if your date field is defined as Date/Time, is it? or is it defined as text?

JR

MattyJacks

Registered User.
Local time
in the related tables those fields are all defined as Date/Time. if you don't believe me i could send the database to you. The form in the database is called STUDENT1

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
that's wierd, yeah you could post a stripped dow version where this behavior is documented.

I'm sure other posters would be interested in this "possible" bug, but for the record I have never come across this.

JR

MattyJacks

Registered User.
Local time
ok, the file is attached, the form is called STUDENT1. Thanks!

Attachments

• LIBRARY_BOOKS_LOAN.mdb
    852 KB · Views: 66

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
I'v looked and see other tread for solution, in your [fine] field on subform Loan Subform1

controlsource:

=DateDiff("d", DateAdd("d", 14, [loanDate]), [returnDate])*0.2

JR

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:14
You need to make the column width wider for the Due Date. At the moment it is cutting off the first digit of the date.

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks!! This calculates a due date but sometimes it calculates it -6 days and some other times it calculates it +14 days. Why is it doing this?? I am a bit confused..

No your dateadd function is correct, no bug there. I think you referd to the record for studenID 6 and 3 where loandate was 12/11/2010 and the Duedate date looked like 6/11/2010.

The solution was to increase the column width of the control to display 26/11/2010. :) easy mistake, so no bug.

JR

MattyJacks

Registered User.
Local time
Oh... i feel like a right idiot now. :) How did i not see that in the first place. Thanks for pointing that out. Any ideas with the due date method to fit with the term dates. This is because the due date works if there were no holidays, but there are so it doesn't.

My idea is:
=DATE() - search for this value in the 'term dates' table, look across to the relative autonumber linked to that date. And then count +14 records down the table to give the due date.
Is there any way to add this onto an Unbound field on a form, in the form of a module / formula / function??

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 19:14
Is this a real exercise or is it part of an assignment?

MattyJacks

Registered User.
Local time
This is a job i have to set up for the librarian at my school however i have next to no expericnce with sql or access functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom