FoxPro/DBase III Import?? (1 Viewer)

JaedenRuiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:15
Okay,

First I was thinking to write a little app in Access to work with a DBF file, that I assumed was a DBIII database. It was exported via a 3rd party software, and the primary interface up until this point has been Visual FoxPro. My problem is two fold:
1st:
When I tried to import it as a dBase III file, Access just closed. I mean, disappeared, no longer running, closed. I didn't even get an error message or anything.
So I tried to import via ODBC, using a "Machine Data Source" Microsoft Visual FoxPro Database (or table, either works) and selected the directory of the dbf file and selected the table listed once it scaned the directory and all imported fine.

So: If the Visual FoxPro Machine Data source worked, though I am confused why the DBIII driver just booted me, I am now concerned as to how I would write a connection string via DAO to access that dbf file at run time.

Basically I want to go to a static location on a network and access a dbf file, and perform query manipulations upon it. My connection will be READ ONLY to the actual DBF file and i would subsequently use MS Access to create any other relevant tables/queries based on the table in the dbf file. Since the Visual FoxPro MDS diver worked, do I need to write a connection string to access it, and if so, how would I do that?

Thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom